Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Finish is This? How can I accomplish this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Finish is This? How can I accomplish this?

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I am a total newb when it comes to woodworking so I very much appreciate anyone who takes a minute or two to share some of their knowledge with me.

My question is, how can I accomplish this same finish/color/coating from the map in this photo? I want to try building a 3 layer map like this for a project using laser cutting and was curious how to get that same finish/coating.

I can confirm that the material in these photos is wood but im not sure what type.

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who answers.

Image Links (High Res -- you can zoom in): https://imgur.com/a/bDmpBU8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benhogan1234567; 11-05-2019, 10:40 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What Kind of Finish is This? How can I accomplish this?

Those may be a type of manufactured wood that does not splinter easily. ???
    benhogan1234567 likes this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

...or something prefinished, laminate or otherwise. Hard to tell from the photos.
      benhogan1234567 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
        Those may be a type of manufactured wood that does not splinter easily. ???
        Thank you to the both of you. I appreciate the reply. So if I basically showed that photo to a manufacturer in China and asked them if they could achieve this same style of finish/colour, it is likely they could achieve this? I.e its not that mysterious/complex to do?

Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge and time. Cheers.

Comment

I'm not sure it is finished in the traditional sense of the word as there appears to be no pooling or uneven fill in the very narrow areas between the closely packed streets (eg towards the upper right). I would expect any sprayed on, even finely misted, or dipped material to leave some residual build up in those narrow areas. Without seeing the actual piece it's hard to tell, but the linked pic doesn't show anything like this.
          Are you sure it's real wood, and not an artificial product (like plastic wood) that has an even colour distribution throughout?
          Interesting product though.

Comment

Working...
          X