Skin forming in can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin forming in can

I’m using general finished arm r seal and I’m finding after the quart can is half full a thin skin is starting to form on the finish inside the can when I next open it.

which of the following would help to avoid this?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...sh-storage-bag

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...inish-preserve

TIA

cheers,
    Peter

Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 11-27-2019, 12:25 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Skin forming in can

Either would help, though I've not used them exactly. I've used propane, from unlit torch, since it is heavier than air. Seems to help. Also, transferring remaining finish into one or more smaller containers that you can fill right to the top, again to eliminate air space.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
      I use these and am very happy.
      Watch the video they have and it's all explained.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I take it this is the product you're talking about.

It's not uncommon to have such skimming over due to the drying in the tin. The suggestions you've received will all work, but one thing to keep in mind is that regardless of the finish type (waterborne, or solvent, which is what this one is), they've all got a lifespan. Skimming over is one way that can help you recognize when the product is ready to be discarded.

One thing I do all the time is write on the tin, the date I first purchased any finish. Then, I put the date I actually open the tin. As a general rule of thumb, 2 years beyone the date of opening is when I consider any finish time-expired.

Hope this helps.
        All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Put glass marbles in the tin to make up for what you take out, I've never tried it but someone suggested it to me recently, I think it would create more problems later as you would have a tin of marbles at the end and half dried product on them that you either clean off or disregard same waste.

Comment

Skinning actually preserves the finish by sealing the remainder of liquid from the air source... if you have a lot of single-use cans, consider getting some strainer cones if you have any concerns about bits of the skin falling into the leftover finish

Comment

Pour it into empty smaller jars. Everyone has those, don't they?

Comment

It was an easy decision. The Saskatoon LV store was out of the finish preserve so I got the bag style storage and will give that a spin.
                thanks for the feedback!

Comment

It was an easy decision. The Saskatoon LV store was out of the finish preserve so I got the bag style storage and will give that a spin.
                  thanks for the feedback!
                  Make sure you look at the video on the website.

Noel
                  "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

Comment

I couldn’t find a link to the video on the product page at LV.

Comment

I couldn’t find a link to the video on the product page at LV.

Go to https://www.stoplossbags.com/

Noel
                      "

Comment

I wonder if other liquid pouches would also work, or if the plastic laminate is specific for solvent and alcohol finishes? Looking up the patent I see it is for the "ornamental design" not for the materials. I have some similar pouches I use for water on camping trips I might try. Or they are readily available on amazon.

Comment

Working...
                        X