Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    I wonder if other liquid pouches would also work, or if the plastic laminate is specific for solvent and alcohol finishes? Looking up the patent I see it is for the "ornamental design" not for the materials. I have some similar pouches I use for water on camping trips I might try. Or they are readily available on amazon.

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
    I couldn’t find a link to the video on the product page at LV.

Go to https://www.stoplossbags.com/

Noel

Leave a comment:

• Peter in Maple Ridge
    replied
    I couldn’t find a link to the video on the product page at LV.

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    It was an easy decision. The Saskatoon LV store was out of the finish preserve so I got the bag style storage and will give that a spin.
    thanks for the feedback!
    Make sure you look at the video on the website.

Noel

Leave a comment:

• Peter in Maple Ridge
    replied
    It was an easy decision. The Saskatoon LV store was out of the finish preserve so I got the bag style storage and will give that a spin.
    thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    Pour it into empty smaller jars. Everyone has those, don't they?

Leave a comment:

• davezedlee
    replied
    Skinning actually preserves the finish by sealing the remainder of liquid from the air source... if you have a lot of single-use cans, consider getting some strainer cones if you have any concerns about bits of the skin falling into the leftover finish

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    Put glass marbles in the tin to make up for what you take out, I've never tried it but someone suggested it to me recently, I think it would create more problems later as you would have a tin of marbles at the end and half dried product on them that you either clean off or disregard same waste.

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    I take it this is the product you're talking about.

It's not uncommon to have such skimming over due to the drying in the tin. The suggestions you've received will all work, but one thing to keep in mind is that regardless of the finish type (waterborne, or solvent, which is what this one is), they've all got a lifespan. Skimming over is one way that can help you recognize when the product is ready to be discarded.

One thing I do all the time is write on the tin, the date I first purchased any finish. Then, I put the date I actually open the tin. As a general rule of thumb, 2 years beyone the date of opening is when I consider any finish time-expired.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    I use these and am very happy.
    Watch the video they have and it's all explained.

Noel

Leave a comment:

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    Either would help, though I've not used them exactly. I've used propane, from unlit torch, since it is heavier than air. Seems to help. Also, transferring remaining finish into one or more smaller containers that you can fill right to the top, again to eliminate air space.

Leave a comment:

• Peter in Maple Ridge
    started a topic Skin forming in can

Skin forming in can

I’m using general finished arm r seal and I’m finding after the quart can is half full a thin skin is starting to form on the finish inside the can when I next open it.

which of the following would help to avoid this?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...sh-storage-bag

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...inish-preserve

TIA

cheers,
    Peter

Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 11-26-2019, 11:25 PM.
Working...
X