What sort of finish is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of finish is this?

Hello, I have 3 matching table tops to re-finish. There is some water damage and lifting of the veneer that I have to repair and I have found lots of info on that.
    However, I am trying to figure out what sort of finish this is. Mass produced in Asia. Bottom is "luan" plywood. Would this be water born acrylic? oil based Urethane or a fast drying lacquer? The colour is a tiny bit yellow so I do not think it is water based. It is about 20 years old. One of the tops feels a bit "soft" when I drag my finger nails over it, if I can use that word to describe its degradation over time. I can spray . Would you recommend using eco friendly stripper? Traditional methyl chloride stripper or just sand? Would the stripper soften the clue that that holds the inlay? Thanks

Ed
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What sort of finish is this?

Your best bet is to try different solvents and see what effects it.
    I would start with lacquer thinner.

Nathan

Comment

Experiment with a Minwax refinish oil. They come with different tints. Just wipe on and wipe off when the desired colour occurs.

My mistake; it should be “Howard’s Restore a Finish”

Last edited by Egon; 01-21-2020, 05:14 PM.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Not trying to be a smartass, but just from the pics the only definitive thing one can say is that it's a clear, film forming finish that looks like it yellowed over time. Which isn't a lot of help.
        If you do some solvent tests as Nathan suggested you will get a much better idea what it may be.

As for stripping it, again it depends what it is. If you can get a methylene chloride based stripper, then that will take most finishes off. I use "Swing", which comes in a gel, a thin liquid or something in between for use in a flow over table. You will have to go to a professional finish supply distributor to get this as it is a restricted product. Circa 1850 works well on NC lacquers and some precats and is available in hardware stores. It's also made by Swing, but is a very much less aggressive product.
        I don't use "eco strippers" as I want to get the job done in hours not days. I also don't remove finish by sanding, again because it's time consuming and can force any impurities you didn't remove with the pre-strip wash into the grain.

The strippers shouldn't damage the glue, unless it's hide glue. Just be careful in areas where the veneer is lifted.

What are you planning to finish the tables with?

Paul
        Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 01-21-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Turns out it is shellac. and I stripped it with methanol. Went rather well once I did it methodically by letting methanol soaked paper towel covered in poly work for a few minutes.

below is picture with some samples of water based varathane on left and Rustoleum spray can varnish on right over maple. Not sure if I want to try to reproduce the original yellowish tint from the shelac. Some suggested amber EnduroVar but I think that is going to be too amber.
          Attached Files

Comment

5 coats of EM6000 semi gloss. The yellow tone came out a bit.. Turned out really nice!
            Attached Files
            nnieman and Jerome like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Nice job well done.

Comment

Looks good.

Thanks for posting the finished piece. All too often questions are asked, advice is given and then ...... nothing.
                Personally I think it's a common courtesy, but then I have different views than many other people.
                I also think it helps others by showing what the finishes that are often talked about actually look like.

I also like the "shop accessory" the tabletop is resting on

Regards
                Paul
                Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

ANY Red wine from Chile is alright with me --LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                    Looks good.

Thanks for posting the finished piece. All too often questions are asked, advice is given and then ...... nothing.
                    Personally I think it's a common courtesy, but then I have different views than many other people.
                    I also think it helps others by showing what the finishes that are often talked about actually look like.

I also like the "shop accessory" the tabletop is resting on

Regards
                    Paul
                    Yes so true.. I delivered it to the customer and it really is the same colour tone as the others. maybe a tinge lighter. Camera and lighting make all the difference when comparing! I have its 2 brothers to do now!

as for the EM6000, I did not notice much difference in application and results from varathane brand finishes. I am puzzled what all the hype is bout these smaller boutique brands. I am wondering if it simply market fragmentation. Varathane handles the big customers while Target and other small ones will take better care of the smaller industrial customers. This stuff is actally mixed up in St-Sauveur Quebec! I called them and they mix and package there! I guess their distributors do this in some places, cheaper than shipping small quantities around the continent.
                    Last edited by EFZauner; 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X