Osmo oil wax finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osmo oil wax finish

I'm looking to finish some new white oak interior trim as well as several doors, stairs and railings. I'd like a light (natural) colour. I've read some positive articles on European oil wax finishes and it appears that Osmo brand is perhaps most common or at least best known. Does anyone have some first hand information to share? Durability? Ease of cleaning? Resistance to moisture, spills of various types? Ease of repair or touch-ups? Any other brands to consider?

Thanks,
    Barry W. Larson
    Egon likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Osmo oil wax finish

I have used it on our kitchen table, and a friends 9' x 5' kitchen island.

table is white Oak, is 2 years old now, used daily, and while it certainly shows some wear, it is easily wiped clean, has no stains/discolouration, and has 3 young boys playing drums and such on it with utensils. I will probably scuff it up with a scotch pad and re apply in the spring... course I said that last year and didn't, so who knows.

the island is black Walnut, used daily and they are super pleased with how it has held up for 1 1/2+ years, with 3 young kids beating on it as ours do.

it's a simple finish to apply, and I will use it again for any such projects.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

I can't believe you built those that long ago.

Noel
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Thanks Tom. Did you use a stain or dye under the Osmo for the white oak table? Do you happen to have a pic or two of the final result?

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry W. Larson View Post
          Thanks Tom. Did you use a stain or dye under the Osmo for the white oak table? Do you happen to have a pic or two of the final result?

Barry
          No stain was used, and it didn't change the "colour" much otger than the obvious dry to wet look.

I will get a current pic for you tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry W. Larson View Post

Barry
            No stain was used, and it didn't change the "colour" much otger than the obvious dry to wet look.

I will get a current pic for you tonight.

Here is a video I made when I applied the first coat of Osmo to the table. I used a brush, but have since moved onto to using a saturated rag. Rag is cheap & easy, and can be left in the Osmo (I poured the large can into smaller containers to try and preserve it since I don't use it often)

Osmo on White Oak vid
            https://youtu.be/ugAeG0Cnb0M

and Osmo on Black Walnut vid, this time we used rags, wiped on a generous amount, anf by the time we covered the wood, we started wiping off the excess.
            https://youtu.be/ZFyiMFdSrmE

Comment

Double post

Comment

Barry, two thoughts:

I have a small, unopened sample jar of osmo that was given to me by a supplier so that I could try it out. It wouldn't be enough to do a whole piece, but definitely enough to do a bunch of test samples to try it out, see how it works.

1. Maybe call around your area, probably a supplier or product rep in your area might be able to give you a similar sample jar, then you could try it out yourself.

2. Failing that, pm me your address and I can mail you this one. I know I will never use it, as I make my own wax oil finish which I prefer.

Comment

I have a friend who uses Osmo finish and he's quite happy with its ease of application and relative performance. HOWEVER, he only uses it as a clear finish and never over stained or pore filled woods. He's also told me that it needs to be reapplied every few months to maintain the original luster and protection.

After reading several comments on Instagram channels, I was intrigued enough to want to see for myself how the product performs. So I contacted the Ontario distributor asking to receive a small sample for testing and was told that the next time I was in Toronto I could come over to his place and he'd show me how to correctly apply it because "it needs to be applied correctly and is something I would need to be shown". I explained to him that I was an experienced finisher and had read their online application process, which sounded quite simple. He insisted that it wasn't simple and repeated his invitation. So, I can only surmise that he wasn't willing to give me a free sample. I'm also not interested enough to buy myself a smaple and try it out, as I quite often use stains and fillers, both of which according to the distributor aren't compatible with the product.
                  All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
                  - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Found it:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200201_1041326.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1268979

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                      Barry, two thoughts:

I have a small, unopened sample jar of osmo that was given to me by a supplier so that I could try it out. It wouldn't be enough to do a whole piece, but definitely enough to do a bunch of test samples to try it out, see how it works.

1. Maybe call around your area, probably a supplier or product rep in your area might be able to give you a similar sample jar, then you could try it out yourself.

2. Failing that, pm me your address and I can mail you this one. I know I will never use it, as I make my own wax oil finish which I prefer.
                      I learned, after buying a paint can sized container, that a little goes a long way with this stuff.

After 3 coats on my table, and 3 or 4 coats on the kitchen island I still had over 1/2 the pale left.
                      I ended up pouring the remaining contents into smaller nalgene containers, and a mason jar.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                        I have a friend who uses Osmo finish and he's quite happy with its ease of application and relative performance. HOWEVER, he only uses it as a clear finish and never over stained or pore filled woods. He's also told me that it needs to be reapplied every few months to maintain the original luster and protection.

After reading several comments on Instagram channels, I was intrigued enough to want to see for myself how the product performs. So I contacted the Ontario distributor asking to receive a small sample for testing and was told that the next time I was in Toronto I could come over to his place and he'd show me how to correctly apply it because "it needs to be applied correctly and is something I would need to be shown". I explained to him that I was an experienced finisher and had read their online application process, which sounded quite simple. He insisted that it wasn't simple and repeated his invitation. So, I can only surmise that he wasn't willing to give me a free sample. I'm also not interested enough to buy myself a smaple and try it out, as I quite often use stains and fillers, both of which according to the distributor aren't compatible with the product.
                        I have smaller containers with some Marty, next time I'm in Kingston area I can drop some off if you like.

Comment

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated.

Barry

Comment

Here are 2 pics of the table, from tonight, both taken after a few rough games of UNO.

Pic one shows overall table, second pic I tried showing some of the "wear" from almost 2 years of my middle son/ mix master DJ who is learning to scratch tables before moving onto turn tables.

Name:	IMG_20200201_190634.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	1269026

Name:	IMG_20200201_190742.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	1269025

Comment

Thanks Tom. If it wears like on a tabletop it should be fine for my application. I might use something different (maybe floor finish, but for the railings, stringers and the doors Osmo may well be a good choice especially since it's easy to apply.
                              Thanks,
                              Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X