Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plywood Shelves - Best Clearcoat Over Acrylic Latex (Interior Paint)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood Shelves - Best Clearcoat Over Acrylic Latex (Interior Paint)

Hi Guys,

I'm building some plywood shelves for our basement storage room and would like them to match the 2x4 brackets/racks and rest of the room. Everything else was painted with the same Sherwin Williams primer & paint that was used on the drywall:I wanted to use the same paint as above as we have lots left, but I've noticed it rubs off fairly easily when I've held the shelves up for a test fit so I wanted to clearcoat over top of this as they'll get a lot more abuse/scraping as items are pulled on/off shelves. The shelves are 17.5mm sanded pine plywood, the cheap chinese plywood at HD.

What would be some good clearcoats to use with the above paint combo? I was thinking of something quick like a spraycan, but open to other options as well.
    John in Calgary
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Plywood Shelves - Best Clearcoat Over Acrylic Latex (Interior Paint)

How about some water-based floor finish??
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

John, perhaps I'm wrong, but your comment about it rubbing off may be an indication that either the primer or the paint itself didn't adhere properly. But, it may be that you didn't give it enough time to properly cure. According to the link you provided, "to assure maximum washability and durability, wait at least 14 days before washing Duration Home Coating". Now, I know you weren't talking about washing, but perhaps this particular product has a rather extended curing time.

So, my advice to you at this juncture is to do a test sample, leave it to cure according to the instructions, then check its adherance to ensure you're happy with the primer and paint. If you feel it's performing well, then go ahead and apply the topcoat of your choice. I would recommend a polyurethane, as such topcoats are known for their durability. You should be able to brush it on.

Hope this helps.
      Kayak Jim likes this.
      All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
      - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

My experience is that you need to sand the paint a bit to give the poly something to bit to. You might also try mixing poly into your paint before you apply the paint, it’s one application rather than two. BW

Comment

Working...
        X