LifeTme wood treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LifeTme wood treatment

Has anyone used this product lately I see this question was asked in 2013. I am considering using it on eastern white cedar to give it a more uniform look from protected areas to sunny areas.
    That should be LifeTime wood treatment link to web sight http://www.valhalco.com/
    Last edited by Bob just past Ayr; 02-26-2020, 04:54 PM.
    Bob just past Ayr
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: LifeTme wood treatment

Yes, it would be great to hear from anyone who has used it.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I checked this stuff out for my deck. Through my research I couldn’t find any consistent reviews. I believe it just helps your wood turn grey.
      i know at one time Parks Canada would only use it because it was environmental safe.
      I don’t think they use it any more. You can buy it at Home Hardware, but you will probably have to order it.
      There were comments that it was a hoax. I decided not to use it.

John
      Last edited by [email protected]; 02-26-2020, 10:49 PM.
      If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Who's life time, mine, yours or his, or is it referring to the lifetime of the paint, and if it falls off in 2 years that was its lifetime.

Comment

I bought 2 packs of it over 20 years ago at home hardware for myself for an experiment when I first heard about it and was aware it was the only thing allowed used on outside wooden structures on school play grounds.
          I mixed up 1 packet ( still have the other one) and put it on one of the cedar cantilevers on a shed at my mill the other identical cantilever I left undone. I know they both look exactly the same but until reading this post never thought to check if one is worse off the the other but will do that tomorrow. I've never used it on anything else I've made around here because I'm not a fan of the grey look. As for using it for any posts under ground it would be fairly costly due to the concentrated amount mixed with water they recommend so never tried that approach.

Comment

Thanks for your experiment Bill. Looking forward for the results. Also did it turn it a more even grey.. I presume you would have western red cedar.
            Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Took a couple pics for you Bob I'm not so sure how helpful they'll be. I never climbed up and check for any difference in deterioration.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar & life time 003.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	1272746Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar & life time 004.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	1272745Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar & life time 005.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	1272744Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar & life time 005.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	1272748
              Attached Files
              [email protected] likes this.

Comment

Thanks Bill I probably would't remember what part I did and what part I didn't after 20 years.
                Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I have used similar product - probably the same stuff I think - an eco friendly powder that is added to water - (see https://ecowoodstain.com) ...except it comes from the east not the west coast.
                  Its easy and very forgiving to apply and it basically makes the wood look weathered, by utilizing natural ingredients to cleverly change the surface colour to "weathered".

It works exactly as advertised and is most excellent.

When I reno'ed a section of my 100 year old cedar shake cottage I sprayed this on the new shakes (with a garden pump up sprayer) - and they were virtually indistinguishable to the old....also sprayed on a few areas where the old stuff was shaded and not all the shakes had evened out well......and it improved the look (without "extra darkening" the already dark parts.)
                  Later I added a new stand alone cedar shake garage .....and that building blends in with the older older buildings and looks very natural.

I would highly recommend the product...it will do exactly what you want Bob
                  Last edited by Julian; 02-29-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Julian Darkening the shaded areas is exactly what I am looking for. I am not sure that the vinegar and steel wool may do the same thing but I am a little hesitant about doing the whole house.
                    Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I have used a product like that (from Home Hardware) and you can see the difference I got with it, (I do think it is like a loog, not sure though about that, it’s been a while)

Name:	New wood shed.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1272843

Name:	Wood shed.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1272844

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Initial color ranges from gray to light brown or olive brown, depending on the type of wood, but matures to a silver grey patina.
                        Cedar starts out much greyer than in Leo's picture ...and "ages" rapidly and tastefully.......pine on the other hand tends to look lighter initially ....but it too darkens and ages quite swiftly to a nice grey weathered look.
                        The product does not make already weathered wood darker or greyer in my experience (like a stain wood would do)...it only acts on the paler or less or incompletely weathered wood.....evening out the overall appearance.

Comment

Working...
                        X