French Polish - streaking issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Polish - streaking issue

So I'm trying out french polish and I'm nearly finished except that I can't quite seem to shake the ghosting or streaking and I wonder if anyone has any advice? I was applying in circular motions, but switched over to straight lines with the grain to see if that helped, but no luck. Is the pad too dry maybe? It's very difficult to capture on camera but around the large flare from the overhead light you can see the streaking.

Any ideas?

Gerry

What?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: French Polish - streaking issue

Gerry, do you mean the small whitish areas that are following the direction of the secondary grain? I'm assuming the whitish straight lines are reflections of the overhead light.
    I have seen shellac react with moisture to give a milky white hue to some areas of a piece. Did you wipe down with a liquid before applying the finish?

The shellac certainly gives a 3D look to it. Nice work!

Paul

Comment

Paul,

The whiteish areas are slightly dull areas that I can only describe as streaks. They are definitely related to the application pattern I use. I only wiped it down with a dry cloth between coats and for the first few weeks when I was doing the application I didn't have any issues. Wondering if it's just my technique is off, or I'm experiencing something else I'm not able to explain.

The 3D look is amazing though isn't it! Thanks!

I just wish I could get the final finish sorted out.

Gerry
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by aliensurfer View Post
        for the first few weeks when I was doing the application I didn't have any issues.
        Did you mix up different batches of finish over this time period or store the original in a well sealed container?
        If you mixed new batches was the solvent to finish ratio exactly the same? If you stored the original mix was it really well stirred before application?
        I'm wondering if there was a change in concentration of solvent and this caused some smudging as it reacted with the previous layer. Did you feel any drag or catching as you moved the pad? It would likely be very slight.
        Did you use the same pad and was it clean each time?

Just so you know, I have sprayed a fair bit of shellac over the years, but have limited experience with french polishing, so I don't have much experience to call upon for answers.

Paul

Comment

I dont know what that is, are you sure theres no contamination?

What are you mixing your flakes with?

I am not great at a french polish but I do use shellac a lot....and Ive never had that happen.
          The pictures make it look like lacquer blush....but i have ever only had that from spraying lacquer in too much humidity.
          Not from rubbing on shellac.

Nathan

Comment

It's the same batch I made when I started the process. Only mixed a small batch of shellac -the BT&C de-waxed shellac flakes from Lee Valley - about 1 cup. It was decanted from the mix container into a clean storage container through a filter, and only a small amount into a new, clean squirt bottle for topping up the pad - 1 with the shellac, 1 with the solvent (Lee Valley Shellac/Lacquer thinner). Same pad, stored in air tight mason jar.

I actually did change the linen yesterday before applying the next layer as I'd worn through in a couple spots. I also bumped up the pad fill level and the application went better. I think I was applying shellac that was too thin and drying too fast and the adjacent swipe was smearing. That's my current theory anyways.

Cheers,

Gerry
            nnieman likes this.
            What?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

That’s makes semse

I dissolve in 99% isopropanol and it dries FAST.

Nathan

Comment

Good to hear you sorted it out.
                Sometimes it's the simple tweaks that work best.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X