Watco tung oil safe for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watco tung oil safe for kids

Iím building a climbing ladder for my son. I used watco tung oil for the finish. Is this relatively safe for kids if the choose to naw on it occasionally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Watco tung oil safe for kids

This is what they’re site says

Click image for larger version

Name:	B46635DA-7DA0-49FE-92D7-BDD91041ACD4.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1277594
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

But occasional gnawing I don’t think I’d be worried.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Name:	51F2FAD9-C744-47BA-9E0E-248E0104DF24.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1277599 Lee Valley has this, food safe

Comment

Yeah I will get the pure stuff, but currently have two can of the watco, which I like. I think I just make sure heís not gnawing on it!

Comment

The LV version has a crappy enough odour that would discourage ANYONE from trying to eat it... plus, it’ll smell for decades

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by davezedlee View Post
              The LV version has a crappy enough odour that would discourage ANYONE from trying to eat it... plus, it’ll smell for decades
              Youíre thinking of their Dung Oil.

dwoody likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattybingco View Post
                Iím building a climbing ladder for my son. I used watco tung oil for the finish. Is this relatively safe for kids if the choose to naw on it occasionally?

Yes it is safe, IF IT IS Tung Oil, as there are so called Tung Oil “FINISHES”, where there is not a drup of Tung Oil in it, the claim is that these finishes give a finish like the real Tung Oil, it has all kind of stuff in there, and I would not want to ingest it.

The Lee Valley (from Sutherland Welles) pure Tung Oil and The Polymerized Tung oil are safe, they go into and on the wood, and then reacts with the oxygen in the air (oxidizes) and turns into a inert material.

Name:	Tung oil information.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1277643
                Of course eating, gnawing wood works for some bugs, it is not so nutritious for people

I have used the Polymerized Tung Oil finish for many years already, and frankly our house is full with turned objects, and no it does not smell bad at all, aswhat is there to smell when the volatiles are gone and the oil has turned into something like a plastic material, though there is now a nicer smelling volatile used so that while it is evaporating it smells nicer, as long as what, couple of weeks if you applied the finish correctly in a warm and dry environment .

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I just looked at the Watco Tung oil and guess what I saw, Tung Oil Finish, no wonder it is ⅓ the price of the Lee Valley Tung oil, oh and it does have skull & crossbones.

Where Lee Valley’s Pure Tung Oil has only the flammable caution, mind you the Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil also has the Skull and cross bones because it has the thinners/volatile added, when that is gone it is like the pure Tung Oil

Name:	Watco Tung Oil Finish.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1277655

Name:	Tung Oil.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1277656

Name:	LV Polymerized Tung Oil.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1277657

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

You didn't by any chance name your son Beaver?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Comment

Working...
                    X