Concrete sealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete sealing?

Hi. A concrete question. Is it fine to water seal concrete slab of a new cottage, only in the bathroom, to use as a finished floor? (The rest of the house will have batten boards of 2x2 over a 6mm vapor barrier, and 2x8 boards will be installed as flooring.) Any good transparent sealers that can last in a bathroom with a shower and a bathtub? Thanks a lot guys.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Concrete sealing?

No it is not fine.
    It is an exceptionally bad idea and you should stop thinking about it and do something else.
    You do not know of what you think!
    So sorry.

It is technically very very demanding to do what you are asking (and unless you are a professional you cannot do it and cannot access either the equipment or the expensive products to do it ..........and you obviously are not a professional in the trade or you would not be asking the question, nor in fact would you even be thinking about it.)
    It can be done of course..think 1/4 inch epoxy mortar with 4 inch seamless cove molding or troweled polyurethane modified cement overlayment...but, as I say, you can't do that and when you find out what it costs you may not want others to do it either....oh, and it ain't "clear" its coloured and opaque.

You should know:
    "Sealed floors" are more slippery than ice when wet....very dangerous!
    Concrete floors are cold to the feet (and this is Canada eh, lots of cold around, way more than hot)...and this is nasty on the feets.
    You have not considered the need or the solution for curbs or molding around the perimeter (vital because if you don't have curbs the wall gets wet and then grows mold which looks horrible and then becomes toxic and makes you sick and has to be all torn out with much aggro and re-built at great expense - but not necessary in your case since you won't be doing it.)

"Sealers" do not just stick, adhere or seal concrete floors easily, long or well.....they are very very tricky indeed and once they start to fail (which is generally quickly) the fix is gruesome....and generally involves doing what should have been done in the first place, which is NOT sealing the concrete but going with a purpose designed bathroom floor system (tiles, overlayment, underfloor heating...whatever).....this of course is if you don't slip and fall and bash your brains out first resulting in lower IQ and an inability to do anything except drink beer and drool.
    Need I say more?

Aaah, you say, who is this horrible person who is stomping on my plans?
    Sorry about that ....but you did ask.
    Me? ....I am a professional in the coating trade, inspector, consultant and (highly opinionated, as you may have noted) subject matter expert with 35 years experience......I'm not just a random commenter making un-informed remarks about bathroom floors, like "Oh I had a bathroom floor once, it was grey and I really liked it and so did my cat, I was going to seal it but I put a carpet on it."...you may get a bunch of advice like that...ignore it. Some people just like to see their name in writing I think.

I've seen lots of bathroom floors.
    Don't go there!

Good luck.
    Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 06-30-2020, 04:38 AM. Reason: I added a thought.
    chris44 and Zorplax like this.

Comment

It's settled then. Tile it is! I believe you, thanks for your advice.  

Comment

Well done Julian!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I started reading Julian’s response and thought wow. After finishing it, well done Julian.
          John
          If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorplax View Post
            Hi. A concrete question. Is it fine to water seal concrete slab of a new cottage, only in the bathroom, to use as a finished floor? (The rest of the house will have batten boards of 2x2 over a 6mm vapor barrier, and 2x8 boards will be installed as flooring.) Any good transparent sealers that can last in a bathroom with a shower and a bathtub? Thanks a lot guys.
            Can we assume the bathtub is sitting on the floor and the shower has it’s own pan? If so there should be no problem. Use a breathable penetrating seal that is easily renewed.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Julian.   Informed and clever.   Nice.

Comment

You have a lot of options with concrete sealers. Every man and his dog has a product. I'd stick with a big brand product. Their support is usually a lot better.

You've also got a lot of options regarding the type of sealer. Acrylic, polyurethane, silane, epoxy etc. This looks like something you're after. I'd email the company to confirm though.

It's a penetrating epoxy sealer to prevent staining from oil, water, etc. It may yellow over time, such is the nature of epoxies.

If you're after another option you could try using a silane product. These penetrate deep into the concrete and will reduce the porosity of the concrete a lot, so much so that it becomes fairly hydrophobic. I can't comment on the grease-"proofness" of a silane coating though.

Edit: I work in an industrial lab so I didn't even think of this at first: There should be a range of kitchen bench concrete sealers you'll be able to pick up from a big-box store. They probably will have better VOC ratings and not be quite as much overkill as that rustoleum product.

Comment

Working...
                X