Should I repaint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I repaint?

Donna, I would not use muriatic acid as it will take the colour out of everything and is not very "user friendly".
    It's possible the dark spots are grain filler, but its impossible to tell for certain without seeing it. The previous owner's description of the top suggests there was water damage and oxidation. The current pattern of the dark spots would back this up. I think its doubtful you would have sanded out the grain filler, although some may have got pulled out of the shallower pores.

Is the top solid wood or a veneer? If it's solid and those spots really bother you and you know someone with a planer or wide belt sander that could handle the width, then you could very quickly remove enough wood to get a nice clean surface.

Paul

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Here’s where I’m at. It’s solid, which is why I thought I’d have a go at it.

I’m not certain at this point if I’ll re-install the door and the little envelope slot thingy. You can really see on the door the extent of the discolouration which has caused my disconcertion.
      Donna,
      Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Here's an idea, if you wiped it down with water or mineral spirits, that would show you what a clear finish might look like. You might decide its a nice contrast with the dark and grain pop. Or you might decide that an amber finish might give it an aged look and the dark discolorization actually accentuates the old desk patina. People pay lots of money to have wood aged or distressed, you already have that. When life hands you lemons, slap a finish on it.
        Bill

Comment

Donna, hard to be definitive from a photo, but the pattern of blotchiness on the door, especially the bottom board, looks a lot like mold grew under the original finish. I saw a lot of similar stuff when I did disaster restoration and I used to bleach it out, then try to get the wood back to it's original colour with dye. Wasn't difficult, just messy and the wood had to dry out thoroughly and needed a good sanding to get the fuzzies off. On the bright side, you get a super clean palette to work with

It could also be the original stain was heavily pigmented and the finer ground material did a really good job of getting into the grain. The same colouration is on the curved tops of the sides, which is another place pigment would stick as it's end grain.

Like I said, impossible to tell without actually seeing it, but that's two possibilities that I have encountered over the years that look very similar to the picture you posted.

You mentioned Royal City Paints in Toronto. Their main facility is much closer to you in Guelph. I used to deal with them many years ago before Becker Acroma was bought out by Sherwin Williams, and I found the folks there very helpful and gave excellent advice. They would also have a full range of finishing products.

Paul
          Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 09-22-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Paul.
            I’ve tried everywhere, including Royal City Paints in Ottawa. No luck. Though I wasn’t looking for wood stain, just the thing to remove the stains. Someone suggested deck wash as it contained oxalic acid, but it’s only 10%.
            When you say bleach - household bleach?
            Donna,

Comment

Donna, do you have a good, old fashioned magnifying glass? If so, take a good look at the offending blotchy areas and see if they look like pigment (should be granular) or mold (should be fuzzy/mossy/thin film).

You can get a wood bleach that is applied as a paste. It's not so messy as liquids, but I can't remember where I used to get it. Lee Valley?
              I have used household bleach, pool bleach, deck cleaner, Spray Nine, TSP and an assortment of whatever cleaner/solvent I had on hand. I would gently work it into the grain with a toothbrush or a soft brass brush to get the moldy residue out.

If you think it's just residual pigment giving the blotchy look, then try a strong solvent like lacquer thinners, acetone, MEK (if you can get it) and gently work it with a soft brass or stiff bristle brush. An advantage of using a solvent is it will evaporate fast so there won't be the long dry time or raised grain to contend with from washing the bleach off with water.

Paul

Comment

I use Oxiclean for that purpose and it is readily available (COSTCO and others).  It is oxalyic acid and you can make it up as a paste.  Mrs L wanted to take strawberry stains out of a wooden basket and I suggested that she try Oxiclean.  The wood is nice and white again.  Just a thought.  BTW, don't use it on finished woods because it can be used as a paint stripper!

Ken
                Frank D. likes this.

Comment

Oxyclean I have! Yeah!!

I'm pretty sure its mold. It's not granular, but not entirely fuzzy. I put a little bleach on the inside of the door, let it soak, scrubbed it with a brass brush and stuff came off. The area is way brighter.
                  I had just been moaning to husband about the time already spent only to discover it's mold and about to throw in the towel but I'm back!! Gonna give the Oxyclean a go!

If that doesn't work, it's either going to get re-painted, or put out to the curb.

I sure appreciate all the guidance!
                  Donna,

Comment

I had forgotten about Oxyclean, and I've used it a few times too (getting old lol). Good call Ken

Donna, hopefully the mold treatment works.
                    If It doesn't I'll PM you with my address so you can put it out to my curb
                    Restoring old, water damaged furniture usually takes much longer than expected, which makes pricing that sort of work very difficult.

Hope it all goes well and looking forward to seeing pics when it's completed
                    Paul

Comment

Ok. I persisted.
                      The Oxyclean did nothing except turn the wood a ghastly white-ish, the black remained. I did the back of the door and then tried different stains and finishes on it to test.
                      So dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
                      Gel stain and two application of BLO. I didn’t reinstall the divided envelope part that hung inside, as it was an impractical space hog.
                      Considering it was painted white to begin with I can live with it, but plan to give it to my kids to use as a small bar.
                      Thanks for the help all.
                      chris44, billsm and Les Groeller like this.
                      Donna,

Comment

This pic makes the back look strange. It’s flat with a beeswax finish.

Doug G and Les Groeller like this.
                        Donna,

Comment

Free Tapatalk only permits one pic at a time.

Donna,

Comment

Nice work..
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Donna... I like the end result, and also the choices of libations! Roy
                              Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

I think it turned out quite well, judging by the pictures.
                                John
                                If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Working...
                                X