Shellac over General Finishes Waterbased Satin Top Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shellac over General Finishes Waterbased Satin Top Coat

I’ve been working on a walk-in closet project and am near completion.....Yea! On a vertical gable made of 3/4” maple plywood I had pre-finished, I had to install a maple plug to cover a mistake. The plywood was finished with two coats of amber, water-based, de-waxed shellac, followed by three coats of General Finishes water-based, clear, satin, topcoat.

Following the installation of the plug, I sanded the immediate area up to 220 grit and applied the topcoats but not the shellac. The result is a “white area “. It would be impossible to put down the shellac without it overlapping the adjacent pre-finished areas. I really can’t remove the finish from the entire gable.

So....I’m wondering what I should do. I could apply topcoat and then apply the shellac overtop and then more topcoats.....not sure if this would work. Or I could look to tint the topcoat but would probably screw it up more.

Suggestions and fixes are welcomed. Thanks.

Jim

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shellac over General Finishes Waterbased Satin Top Coat

Bump. Hopefully someone can help. I guess that I could just get some plywood and experiment.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Jim..... I am not a finishing expert, only a hobbiest. I was told many years ago that dewaxed shellac will adhere to any finish, and any finish will adhere to dewaxed shellac. Over the past 20 years I have not encountered a situation that proved that to be wrong. So, in your case I would first apply a topcoat of shellac to the “white” area where the shellac undercoat has been sanded off, hoping that that would provide the colour missing. If that does not satisfy, sand down the area and do the undercoat of shellac followed by the topcoats. Roy
      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Thank you Roy. I will try that. I have to be careful with the sanding as it is plywood that has twice been sanded bare already. It probably can’t stand a third. I will do a shellac topcoat followed by the general finishes topcoat and report back. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comment

Jim, you will have to be able to feather in the edges of the repair to avoid an unsightly border. I have found aerosol cans are best for this and they need to be held well back from the surface to give a very light mist coat. If you apply a couple coats make sure that the second (and any later coats) don't extend as far as the previous coat as this will lessen the effect of the "new" edge. It takes a good eye and a steady hand but it can be done and any unsightly borders can usually be toned down by very lightly using one of the Ultrafine 3M sanding sponges or a white scotchbrite.
          Those types of repairs were so so easy in the days of NC lacquer when coats just melted into one another lol

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul. Are you talking about the shellac coats or the General Finishes topcoats?

Comment

Jim, both!
              Find a paint store/automotive paint supply outlet that will make up spray cans with your own finishes. I used to do this with Target's EM2000, but the can had to be shaken a lot during use and I found it was a good idea to keep it warm. Also once it got below a certain level it just spluttered and was useless, but it was a very cost effective/convenient method for repairing some small jobs onsite as it saved transporting items to and from my shop.
              Like I mentioned above, you will most likely have to physically feather in the edges, but it's certainly doable.

Paul

Comment

Would those Preval spray bottles also be a viable alternative?

Comment

Well, I followed Roy’s advice and as much of Paul’s advice as I could without making up a spray can. What do you think. I realize that it is not perfect, but it’s way better than it was. I’m satisfied. Thanks very much for your help.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim near the Tay View Post
                    I’m satisfied.
                    That's what counts most!
                    Looks good Jim, and it's in a closet, so won't get much exposure to critical eyes anyways.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Jim

Comment

Jim.... if you and the boss are happy, it’s a success. Well done, Roy
                        Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
                        X