1950/60s wood glue toxicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950/60s wood glue toxicity

I have recently got back into woodworking after 3 decades away from one of life’s joys. One of my first projects was to take apart an old bedroom suite made by Vilas back in the late 50s or early 60s. It was my parents and I want to make some items from the beautiful maple it was made from for my kids. Dove-tailed craftsmanship is amazing and the long boards are still tight. There is evidence of some gluing. One of the items I want to make are cutting boards. SO...my question is - was the glue used over 60 years ago toxic or can it be considered food grade by today’s standards.
    The suite had a thin brown coating that was easily sanded and planed off. Would that finish have caused any issues around absorption?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and wisdom.
    beachburl likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 1950/60s wood glue toxicity

I can't answer your specific questions but personally I wouldn't hesitate to use that reclaimed wood for cutting boards. If I was going to make wine (or sauerkraut) barrels from it I might give it a second thought.
    scooby074 likes this.

Comment

Kayak Jim. Thanks for your input. I am thinking the same way but don’t have a great deal of knowledge in this area. My recent research reading shows that glue become inert when dry (like epoxy in other wood projects) so it may be full steam ahead with “making sawdust!”

Comment

I would suspect the furniture glue used then would not be waterproof or resistant so not suitable for a cutting board.

Pete

Comment

Pete, thanks for the input. I may try some moisture experiments over the next few days to test your theory. Will keep you posted on results.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B. View Post
            Pete, thanks for the input. I may try some moisture experiments over the next few days to test your theory. Will keep you posted on results.
            You could also try some heat. There is a possible chance it’s hide glue.
            Darrin

Timber Elegance
            My Etsy Store

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

If it was made commercially it could be a different story. The testing your doing will tell you.
              https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

I have a similar question , I dont know if It can be answered. its a countertop that was made locally from fir pieces about 3/4 thick laminated to about 1 1/4" The one clue I have is that the glue was a dark brown color.
                It's about 10 feet long so would make a nice countertop or table but I was wondering if it's ok to use for a kitchen. It was likely made around 1980 or so. I got a real thick one about 4 inches thick and used that for my workbench.

Comment

Working...
                X