Rejuvenating old furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejuvenating old furniture

Quite the talent this girl has for rejuvenating old furniture. Beautiful work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lBtzbQDkbrg

Anyone who doesn’t think money grows on trees hasn’t bought any lumber lately.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rejuvenating old furniture

Yes, interesting mix of stained and painted surfaces.

Comment

I've seen so many nice antiques that have been destroyed by people who paint them rather than do restoration work. It completely devalues them , but I guess there are cases where the object is of no value and of course if you own a piece you can do what you like.

I just picked up three beautiful chairs that are from about 1930 or so, they were out in the rain, I'd say they are jacobbean style but they have nice pressed backs with "carved" details. These were offered up for free so I couldn't stop myself from grabbing them from the roadside. I left the Duncan Pfyfe table that was with them there because someone had painted it brown and I really didn't care to strip it.

I see deals like that quite often. not long ago I also got a set of 4 beautiful barley twist chairs for free that just needed a bit of glue. I keep wondering how long it will take to get to a place where people appreciate antiques again. I have great big dining room table with queen anne legs that seems to be worthless even though it is well made and in nice shape. the wood to make it would cost a small fortune. Part of it may be that people just dont have the big dining rooms anymore and they dont want them when they move into compartments. Maybe antiques just aren't in style as they were years back.

granted that the pieces this lady is painting aren't worth much and she's having fun so who's to say it's wrong .. the only thing that bothers me about it encourages others who are unable to make a differentiation and ruin nice or even valuable things rather than stopping to realize that there are authentic ways to actually restore antiques. Im of the mindset that we have some responsibility to pass things down to future generations, for them to enjoy but not everyone will follow that way of thinking.

Its a topic that some feel passionate about , especially those who do appreciate antiques and I can see both sides of it. Myself I'd rather pass on some unrestored pieces than to go about painting and ruining stuff, but at the same time I guess I'm not old enough to look upon eames era stuff as being collectable Some of that is getting up there in value. a lot probably has to do with what people valued or remembered having as kids. I'm not old enough to remember art deco being popular, but I still appreciate all the styles of that era. a lot of that I consider to be real art that is worthy of restoration and care.

I assume what will happen is people wil continue chucking antiques inthe landfills or painting them and such , but eventually we will reach a point where antiques like wood furniture are again appreciated and sought after , and they will become more rare. Its hard to think of anyone really appreciating much that was made past the point that particleboard furniture got the lion's share of the market.
      Last edited by stickman; 09-13-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I think she has a great eye. I like most of what she did, except for the radio.

Stickman, I don't know if you are old enough to have adult children, but it's a rare one that is interested in antiques. If they are in great condition, they are likely too stuffy for today's decorating trends and if they aren't in A-1 shape, they are too much work.

I'm not a refinisher, but the pieces I've done on the past were so labour intensive I can hardly be bothered anymore.

I currently have this that no-one wants. Solid Mahogany, no built up panels or turnings. I cleaned and replenished the wood - it's beautiful. And it sit's in my garage. My hubby has moved it so often he's threatening divorce🤪 Wrong style, colour and size for today's home-owner. Me included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E235B61F-18BC-47B7-89D3-A90A1B32FC3E.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	1343898

Donna,
        Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

I agree with Donna, while I can appreciate the beauty and workmanship in many antiques and we have a few, it's not my style or my wife's. Mid Century Modern is more my style, Duncan Phyfe, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna H View Post

I'm not a refinisher, but the pieces I've done on the past were so labour intensive I can hardly be bothered anymore.
            Donna, having seen some of the work you have posted in the past I might politely question your first statement.

Your comment about labour intensive work is absolutely spot on IMO and is a major hurdle that those of us in the refinishing business face all the time. There are very few people that truly appreciate the amount of work that goes into refinishing a piece of furniture, especially one with a very intricate form, and they just about pass out when told how much it will cost to do what they want. I have had so many "that's absolutely absurd, I can buy a replacement at ......... (insert name of box store) for less than half that". Definitely narrows the market, even for those of us that use commercial grade products to remove old finish and high end spray systems to apply top of the line finishing products in far less time than doing it all by hand takes.
            I once walked away from a rather simple table refinishing job when the lady told me that "my price was absolutely outrageous and I was taking far too long as the 'man on the TV' did it all in 20 min". I had a hard time controlling my overwhelming desire to burst out laughing!!

BTW, I love that bed frame. Mahogany is one of my favourite woods/veneers to refinish. I have refinished a lot of mahogany office furniture over the years and it always comes out beautifully with a simple combination of washcoats, dye, stain and (maybe) a toner.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul. That’s high praise coming from you!
              Donna,
              Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Anyone who doubts the amount of work in restoring antiques should watch a few episodes of Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration on Youtube.

Comment

I think the bed is great, also.
                  But I already have a maple one, which also no one in the family wants, so we'll keep sleeping in/on it.
                  SWMBO just asked me to make small 'buttons' for the baseboard pedestals which held the top portion of the post which she kept bumping into so haven't been in place for years.
                  Don't know how I'm going to come even close to matching the existing 50 year old finish.
                  Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Noel… don’t try to match, make them a contrasting colour and call it a design feature! Roy
                    beachburl likes this.
                    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                      Anyone who doubts the amount of work in restoring antiques ......
                      Absolutely Doug!! There is a lot of painstaking detailed work in doing that properly. I was lucky in that I struck up a good relationship with an antique restorer/conservator in the early days of my business so would refer any prospective customers with possible "antiques" to him. He also was an evaluator and was called upon by most of the larger auction houses to evaluate furniture for estate sales, so he had a very good idea what a piece was worth, what the market would bear and just how much expensive restoration was justified. His biggest complaint was that far too many younger folks, who often inherited older pieces of furniture, had no idea of, or an appreciation for, the value of them. It was just dusty old junk that they needed gone.

Paul
                      Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 10-03-2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                        Don't know how I'm going to come even close to matching the existing 50 year old finish.
                        Noel, Roy's suggestion is a good one and can really enhance the visual appeal of the piece. If you would prefer to try a match, then I would suggest using dyes as I have found that for small objects they are far easier to mix and get very close to existing colour than stains. It would also be a good idea to use the same finish as on the original.
                        If you want to go that route, rather than going out and buying three or four different coloured dyes, I have plenty of already opened bottles that you could try. You know where I am if you decide to do that. I may even have some NC lacquer too if that's what the original finish is.

Paul
                        Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 10-03-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Interesting idea, Roy, but not in this case.
                          Thanks Paul, I might just take you up on your offer.
                          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I'd be interested to get other people's take on the future price of antiques. Will they remain at the all time lows we see now or will the value increase in time. Predictions?

Comment

Working...
                            X