• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeBoxer
    replied
    Re: Water Damaged oak cabinet doors

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    What ever you do is probably going to look like a patch job unless you are able to get the door apart, let the wood set until it dries( Will take months) and than reassemble. I would cut a piece of the stile and send the profile away to a shop that makes knives for a W & H moulder. They would make a knife for the profile you have and then you will have to find someone with a W&H moulder to machine the wood. A set of knifes will probably cost around $150. That may seem like a lot of money but have you priced kitchens lately. I say W&H or similiar moulders as they are quick to set up and are ideal for short runs of moulding. There must be some W&H moulding machines up your way as there was a dealer in the Ottawa Valley a few years back. You could also find someone with a shaper that has a head for corrugated knives and get knives for that. Most commercial shops will have one but expect to pay a good dollar. Good luck on your journey.

Brian
    Thanks Brian. I think the WoodSource down in Manotick would have a molder, and I've looked through their online catalog without luck. Looks like if it comes to the point that the patch job doesn't look perfect, I'll have no choice but to just bite the bullet then.

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied

What ever you do is probably going to look like a patch job unless you are able to get the door apart, let the wood set until it dries( Will take months) and than reassemble. I would cut a piece of the stile and send the profile away to a shop that makes knives for a W & H moulder. They would make a knife for the profile you have and then you will have to find someone with a W&H moulder to machine the wood. A set of knifes will probably cost around $150. That may seem like a lot of money but have you priced kitchens lately. I say W&H or similiar moulders as they are quick to set up and are ideal for short runs of moulding. There must be some W&H moulding machines up your way as there was a dealer in the Ottawa Valley a few years back. You could also find someone with a shaper that has a head for corrugated knives and get knives for that. Most commercial shops will have one but expect to pay a good dollar. Good luck on your journey.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Pete in Milton
    replied
    Where can I get Oxolic Acid? Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware, Canadian tire .... ?
    Shoppers Drug Mart or some other pharmacy
    Regards
    Pete
    Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 11-17-2008, 07:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Here is what I'm really after: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ja...cpes/763573368

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Picked up a squeeze bottle of Elmer Rotted Wood Stabilizer from HD ...
    I taped up the parts I don't want to apply it to as per instruction. And that was about it for the instruction. I'm guessing it will just be squeeze and the thing will soak into the rot.

But when I squeezed the thing out, it looks like white glue but very slightly more viscous. At this point, I'm pulling out my cheap utility brush to spread the stuff.

This stuff feels like white wood glue, looks like white glue, smells like white glue ... must be ______ ___?

Anyhow, I applied it anyways, to a bunch of pieces and lets see what is looks like in the morning. I have a feeling I'll be making another trip back to HD to return this fraud.

Leave a comment:

• big mac
    replied
    The joys of reading forums on a lazy Sunday You gave me a laugh with the acetone Reminded me of the movie "Apacalypse"---"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Originally posted by Pete in Milton View Post
    Mold??? It may be some mold but may also be discolouration due to water exposure, oak will blacken when exposed to water/ moisture as a result of a reaction with the tannin in the oak. An oxolic acid solution can bleach the black stain out without tuning the wood white, if you try google you'll probably find the correct solution strength.
    Regards
    Pete
    Maybe the combination of the two, but definitely mold there as well. I've been scraping them off. The inside of the rail where the water collected has rotted a little.

Where can I get Oxolic Acid? Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware, Canadian tire .... ?

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Wood rot inside the rail grove ...
    Good thing no one can see it ... water must have just collected and sat in it over the years slowly.

Now, all I need is some wood hardener ... either minwax high performance wood hardener or CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) ...

No such thing from Home Depot when I called them. Only an Elmer wood repair kit with has a wee size squeeze tube only good for one rail. I don't need all the other fillers and frills ... or do I? $14 for the packaged deal.

I wonder if there is a boat repair supply shop open today. That would do the trick. They usually carry wood rot hardeners ... I have a small Catamaran that would need it down the road anyhow. I won't mind a gallon of the stuff. Ummmm ... the joys of breathing in acetone.

Leave a comment:

• Pete in Milton
    replied

Mold??? It may be some mold but may also be discolouration due to water exposure, oak will blacken when exposed to water/ moisture as a result of a reaction with the tannin in the oak. An oxolic acid solution can bleach the black stain out without tuning the wood white, if you try google you'll probably find the correct solution strength.
    Regards
    Pete

Leave a comment:

• big mac
    replied

The panel should have been floating Sometimes a sharp blow at joint will cause glue to let go-------too late

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Ok, no nail, but the glue used on the lower rail did hold on to the lips on some of the lower rails, and was hence ripped off. No biggie ... Glue destroyith, Glue Repairith ...

But good god, I have a mold bank in the grove where the panel goes at the bottom due to the air pocket there.

Time to take this work out doors, mask, and wet sand ... no machine for me....

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    replied

Is the consensus that the panel is floating, and not glued?
    Is there any method to weaken the glue bond prior to attempting to rip the thing apart?

I'm concerned the glue will do its bonding job even after 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• big mac
    replied

Looks to me like the door frame is put together with biscuits. I would try to wiggle the joints apart---carefully---clean up the mold and put back together---trying not to do too much to the face as to removing finish.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBoxer
    started a topic Water Damaged oak cabinet doors

Water Damaged oak cabinet doors

I have a water damaged raised panel oak cabinet door. Any ideas on how to approach it for repair?
    http://www.routerforums.com/showthre...6619#post86619
Working...
X