Dewaxed shellac in Calgary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewaxed shellac in Calgary

Does anyone know where I can find dewaxed shellac in Calgary? I tried Cloverdal and they dont and have no idea where to look. Rone only carries white shellac. Any suggestions? I have never tried to look for this before.

Thanks
    Regards,

Greg West
    Cornel's World Terrariums
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dewaxed shellac in Calgary

Try Benjamin Moore. Zinnser Sealcoat is what you want. It is used a lot by flooring re-finishers so you might want to give them a try. If you have no luck, Jeff at Wood Essence (Saskatoon) will quickly throw some dewaxed shellac flakes on the bus/courier for you. His does not come pre-mixed (need 99% pure Iso Propyl Alcohol), but he has many different shades.

How did you like the Woodweb gang? Some fairly serious fellows there.

Brad

Comment

Not as nice as the guys here. One guy basically telling me just because I can design it doesn't mean it will work and it will basically fall apart. I actually didn't get too many responses. I think I will follow the fine woodworking method they used in their article in last months issue, and go with something like the Spar that was mentioned for the inside to protect from moisture. Now I am really worried about the inside....

Greg
      Regards,

Greg West

Comment

Thanks for the reply Brad. I have e-mailed Jeff to see what he has to say about it. Hopefully he can recommend something. I also called lee valley, and he said to use the white shellac at rona but dilute it as it was 2 lb. He seemed pretty knowledgable, but at the same time told me to use a polyurethane or a minwax type product which the article recommended not to use. Hopefully Jeff replies right away. I wanted to start on it this weekend, or at least have a few test pieces to see what it looks like.
        Last edited by Greg West; 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM.
        Regards,

Greg West

Comment

Originally posted by Greg West View Post
          I also called lee valley, and he said to use the white shellac at rona but dilute it as it was 2 lb. He seemed pretty knowledgable, but at the same time told me to use a polyurethane or a minwax type product which the article recommended not to use.
          Odd, doesn't LV still have this?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942

Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
            Odd, doesn't LV still have this?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942

Kerry
            The Superblonde has been discontinued, and he recommended talking to Jeff at Wood Escence as well as he had seen him at the wood show.

Greg
            Regards,

Greg West

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The lee valley shellac is not dewaxed. They did carry dewaxed at one time, but stopped. The only reason to use dewaxed is to avoid adhesion problems with the finish coats. The zinnser sealcoat is pretty darn handy and I understand they have added something to the mix to increase the shelf life from the typical 6mos for mixed shellac. I managed to find some in Edmonton a while back, so I bet someone must have it in Calgary.

The conditioners the salesman referred to are not worth a dime.

The zinnser cans suggest how to dilute the shellac to use as a washcoat and if you end up getting flakes from Jeff he includes a description for mixing it up. Usually around 1lb cut to 1.5lb. The amount of solids in your washcoat will effect how much stain will soak in. You are going to need some 99% pure Isopropyl alcohol.

I meant to point out to be careful on the woodweb. I follow the discussions very often. They are a pretty serious gang, particularily some of the finishers. I have read some pretty harsh replies. the knowledge base and discussions are very useful. Your thread seemed to go fine, but you caught the attention of one tough critic.

As I understand the spar varnish is more for the UV outdoors. That is why it is softer. Very similar mixture as the other polys, just a slight variation. I think most of the polys should protect this, but hopefully Jeff will help you out with the finish.

Let us know how it goes.

Brad

Comment

As others have said, the dewaxed is only an issue if you're topcoating with something else.

I tracked down the woodweb thread and found you're working on a terrarium. Looks nice.

I'd probably stay away from spar varnish for any indoor projects. It's softer than regular varnish (to allow for the greater movement of items exposed to varying humidity outdoors) and contains UV inhibitors that are generally not necessary indoors. Also, waterborne finishes do still offgas, just less than regular ones.

High humidity shouldn't be a problem, as it will be essentially constant after an initial adjustment period. You'll end up with a humidity gradient through the wood, but once it settles down it won't be moving around. As long as the wood doesn't actually rot, you should be okay. It will be very much like a humidor for cigars, and they've had those for a long time.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I have talked to Jeff, and will probably again once I get my order. He was very helpful. He actually said to use the epoxy on the inside if I am familiar with it. The reason for that is that it would be permanent. He said I could have a problem either way, but no way to tell for sure if anything will happen or not. I hope it isn't going to be a problem, but I guess I will haveto deal with it if it is.

Thanks again guys.

Greg West
                  Regards,

Greg West

Comment

Working...
                  X