Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Wondering What Is The Best Finish On A Bowl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Wondering What Is The Best Finish On A Bowl!

I want to make a bowl shinny like this. I tried wax and varnish,but they both dont do really much! Also i sand the boel up to 600 grit!
    what is a good buff to make it shinny?

i want my bowls to be shinny like this one!
    here is the link: http://www.rrhi.com/jlovell/KouTwins.jpg
    Mo
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Im Wondering What Is The Best Finish On A Bowl!

That finish is easiest to achieve with a buffing system such as Beal's or One Way's. I have good luck using the buffing system over shellac finish.

WOODWORKER, RETIREE, HOUSEKEEPER!

Comment

hmmm you think this bottle of stuff will make it shinny like the link i showed u before?
      http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49236&ap=1right now i use was*candle wax* and i also use bee wax.
      they both dont really give me that WOW finish.
      but my walnut bowl was a WOOOOOOOOOOW finish lol.
      to me it was a woooooooooW finish.
      http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...3&id=566915603
      but i think it got the wow finish is because the wood is dark!
      haha sorry if my stuff sounds like BS.
      Mo

Comment

The turners polish you linked to is only good for small stuff. It drys way to fast for larger projects and leaves streaks.
        I have tried a number of different finishes trying to get a shiny surface without it looking like it was dipped in plastic. So far I haven't had a lot of success. Spray finish will give you a real shiny surface but I find it takes a lot of coats to get an even sheen and then it just looks too thick. The ones I have seen that I really like are all buffed on buffing wheels. I don't have a buffing system yet.

The one you linked to looks like it was buffed. It has a nice sheen but doesn't look thick. Below is one I'm not happy with and, as you can see, it looks like it was dipped in plastic. I used spray lacquer for this one and it took about 6 coats before it had an even finish on it.
        Attached Files
        J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
        Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

haha thx,the walnut bowl i made i use candle wax,i just used a cloth to buff it.but i use the same cloth and same wax to other wood and it dosent show the same effect.

your project looks cool.i always wonder how u have those holes on the side of your project.sorry i call it your project because i dont know what to call it
          Mo

Comment

Well... I call it a bowl.
            The piece is willow burl and the holes were all full of bark. The bark came out when I turned it. Big chunks of bark flying everywhere.
            It's easier then it looks... And more fun too.
            J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

what kind of wood would most likly to have barks like that?
              i been looking everywhere for them!!
              i find holes on the side look cool!!
              but my classmate think is ugly because it got holes haha.

if i use candle wax then use this
              http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040will it give me a a wow finish?
              and how about this product?
              http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942
              Mo

Comment

You require a buffing system to achieve the quality finish your looking for. Like this product:
                http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...90,43040,43042
                Once you have turned and sanded your project you must seal it with a good sealer, linseed oil, lacquer sealer, or shellac (I prefer shellac for high gloss). Then you work your way through the three step buffing system with the fine abrasives. On a porous wood like walnut you must fill the pores with the sealing medium (this is one reason I prefer shellac) before buffing to a final sheen. The buffing pads you mentioned:
                http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...90,43040,43042
                work quite well on the inside of bowls and goblets.

Larry

WOODWORKER, RETIREE, HOUSEKEEPER!

Comment

haha i dont think i can afford the first buffing system...
                  i can afford it but i dont think i can make enough money to paid it backthe second link im going to get that buffing system.im just going to wax my bowl with candle was then use that bowl boom to buff it!
                  Mo

Comment

In stead of all that buffin' and chance taking, Y-knot use several coats of Wipe-on Poly?

Are these Shiny enough?
                    Attached Files
                    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

haha that is a wow finish to me haha!!
                      can you tell me what you use!
                      and how u did it
                      Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.WoodTurner View Post
                        what kind of wood would most likely to have barks like that?
                        i been looking everywhere for them!!
                        i find holes on the side look cool!!
                        but my classmate think is ugly because it got holes haha.

if i use candle wax then use this
                        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040will it give me a a wow finish?
                        and how about this product?
                        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942
                        As mentioned, that is willow burl. some burls go very deep so you end up with holes and some don't. Some root balls work well for this too.
                        The finish I used is lacquer in a spray can. You can get it in the paint section at Canadian tire. They also have water based spray lacquer that is nice too and doesn't stink as much. You first have to apply a sealer coat or you won't get an even finish. Using an oil will add a bit of colour and accent the grain a bit. I would still seal it after the oil dries and before spraying it.
                        The wipe on poly that Bill mentioned is also available at Canadian tire and other big box stores. It's more or less just thinned out poly. You can use regular poly the same way but it doesn't soak in as well. You can wipe it on with a rag or brush it on then wipe off the excess. After it dries you do it again and let it dry and again... until you reach the desired sheen.
                        The Ailanthus ornaments I did recently have 2 coats of danish oil then sprayed with clear coat. The danish oil adds colour, highlights the grain and seals it. I use the spray because it's fast and simple to get a high gloss. You can apply several coats in a few hours whereas poly needs several hours to dry.

Candle wax is not a finish.
                        Wax can be applied over a finish but buy some proper furniture wax. It's cheep and a can will last you a good long time. I have been using the same can of wax for several years.
                        J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Comment

can you show me few pictures of the can wax looks like so i can go candadian tire ot grab some.
                          haha i always used candle was for my finish!
                          maybe i need a change now!
                          Mo

Comment

Bill: I see this term "use several coats of Wipe-on Poly?" on several posts lately. Could you share some insight with me as well. I have been using a can of wax that some lady gave my wife, but I am nearly out and as the text on the can is all in dutch, I cannot even tell what it is for sure. I understand it is bee's wax plus other stuff. I would love to get a shine on my bowls like the onse you show in this thread.

Many thanks for any info you might be willing to share.

HAve a great evening
                            Steve from Chester NS

Comment

the wipe on poly works pretty good shinnyer then wax !!
                              but it didnt give me your shine.
                              how many coats did u put on?
                              Mo

Comment

Working...
                              X