Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Wondering What Is The Best Finish On A Bowl!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Im Wondering What Is The Best Finish On A Bowl!

Has to do with prep and application. First of course is to sand it silly and work out all the lines, Raise the grain and then sand again. (remember that you turn fast but sand SLOW) Sanding fast only makes for hot sandpaper and a burnished fibers.

I put on a wet coat and burn it into the wood, allow to dry and apply another and this time allow to dry over night, (I know the book says that it will be dry in an hour or two but dry is not HARD, must allow to get hard) next day you will use a Green scotch bright to scuff up the surface, look for runs and defects and correct them. With the bowl off the lathe, (you can keep it on the chuck or faceplate but sitting on a bench apply Wipe-on with a dauber made from old Tee Shirt material. I learned this from a fellow Forum fellow Brian and his fancy BS Boxes,,, I cut a swatch of Tee shirt and fold it several times to make a pad (pad is about an inch square) hold it shut with a hemostat clamp as the handle. Wipe on a wet coat and allow to dry over night. Often times we fiddle with the finish too much. Poly goes through several stages whilst it cures. Of course it looks wet when we apply, then it off gasses and looses that glossy look, there is where we get in the way, we wipe again because it lost its luster and we must have missed a spot... actually it is a gazillion of tiny fume bubbles escaping as it dries, if we leave it alone they will level out on their own and form a smooth surface. (you realize all this is done in a dust free environment) Each application requires a stay overnight. I also add a lamp looming over the project to keep the air warm. When you think it is smooth enouth and shiny enough, then you need the final application. Rub down the finish with 400 paper ver gently and wipe clean the dust (no tack rag) Now apply a final WET look. Don't tougch it till it ihas had a good night's sleep under the lamp.

Ta Da...... Good morning shiny little project....
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

haha i messed up then!
      i have like 2 or 3 coats of poly on then i was like this isnt shinny enough so i added some wax...but then i added some poly on it and thw wax came off!
      ill follow your steps on my next bowl!!
      thanks for sharing
      Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
      Mo

Comment

Bill: Thanks for the info on your fishining. Got to make a trip to get some materials and finishing stuff
        Steve from Chester NS

Comment

First, young man I deal with High School students daily, and it is unfortunate that foul, coarse language is so common. Lesson one should be respectful language in public.

You should not try to apply any type of finish over wax.

Comment

Originally posted by meaded View Post
            First, young man I deal with High School students daily, and it is unfortunate that foul, coarse language is so common. Lesson one should be respectful language in public.
            I agree. I've edited the post in question, and also warned the poster about the use of such language in the future.
            Just wandering around

Comment

Originally posted by meaded View Post

You should not try to apply any type of finish over wax.

Having also spent all my adult life before a classroom full of creative language machines, I too am still disgruntled when we see it posted, thanks for the correction. Not to say I don't feel the sentiment or have uttered the vernacular, but never in a post.
              Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

my bad
                Mo

Comment

Working...
                X