using fiberglass resin to fill large crack in pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using fiberglass resin to fill large crack in pine

I am building a pine table and want to use fiberglass resin to fill a large natural crack. The table will have a natural finish and was wondering if anyone had used this with good results. The crack is about.25 in wide and 4 in long Thanx
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: using fiberglass resin to fill large crack in pine

Fiberglass resin is not where the strength is, it is in the mat that absorbs the resin. So if you are going to use it I would either buy chopped up mat or cut it up your self then mix it with the resin and fill your crack.

But I suggest you get your self some 5 or 20 minute epoxy, to fill the crack. Tape off the underside if it's all the way through tape off all around the crack. The sand some pine on it's end grain to produce some saw dust.

Mix the epoxy usually a 2 part, and mix in some saw dust you just made to color the epoxy like the pine then fill the crack. We remove the tape while it's setting up when it's not runny any more but not soild either. Sand then if it's not perfect you can do another coat to fill the imperfections usually bubbles which are produced during the chemical reaction.

I'd go the epoxy route.

Paul
    Canadian Woodworks - Custom wooden rocking chairs

Comment

As I understand it thee are at least two different types of resin you could use.

A polyester resin which is normally used for fiberglass reinforced plastic. Oor an epoxy resin which is frequently used for building boats like cedar canoes.

I have used the polyester type to fill large spaces (in a tabletop) between slabs of small trees. There were some initial problems with shrinkage likely due to shrinkage of the wood. Repairs were easy. That all went away.

I have also used epoxy to fill cracks, knotholes and spaces in various turnings, flooring and various things.

It likely won't hide very well, but you can add color to it to make it a 'feature'. Build up a little on the surface and sand it down smooth, then add a clear finish. You might have to add some tape or fill to the back side of the crack to keep the resin in while it sets.

Good luck.
      In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

Comment

I watched Norm fill in voids in mesquite with black epoxy resin and it work well. I applied this to an old spindle I am restoring. I picked up some Lepages 2 part black steel epoxy and worked it into any resin pockets, grain separations, etc. The contrast to the lighter wood looks good, and once it cures, sands, polishes and finishes very well.

Don

Comment

First thing to decide is whether or not you want to "match" or "contrast". If you have a lot of say coloured streaks in the wood then a contrast might be better. If the whole surface is a clear pine colour then a contrast will stick out like a sore thumb.

Perfect matching can be difficult and often using sawdust from the original wood produces a darker colour. Best to do some testing first.

billh

Comment

A crack that large will be impossible to hide well.

You have three choices when dealing with issues like this: Fix it, Hide it, or if neither of those two are an option: Feature it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cherry-butterfly-key.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	866147
            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Do not use Polyester resin for this. It is not made for this. It is made to fill the weave in fiberglass. Look at Ryan's advice. If you descide to fill it, use epoxy. One of the name brands such as West Systems, System 3, East etc. Epoxy must be mixed with a hardener to cure at a ratio ranging from 2:1 to 5:1. Epoxy will be too thin to fill a gap so you will have mix it with a thickener, this where you can get creative. You can mix in many different powders to get diferent looks. If you want a wood look, just mix in some wood flour (fine sawdust) be aware that it will be darker then the wood it came from. Clean up with vinager. (before it dries, cured epoxy does not come off, I've had some on a pair of boots for 4 years.) I hope this helps.
              When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Well said Ryan.
                Canadian Woodworks - Custom wooden rocking chairs

Comment

thanks all for the inputs

Comment

Working...
                  X