Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to blend 2 different colored curly maple boards.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to blend 2 different colored curly maple boards.

Hi,

I have a light brown colored maple board and I want to bring the color closer to the darker brown maple colored board that I have. I was thinking of putting a few coats of boiled linseed oil first or some Danish oil to start. If someone could suggest something that would be great. Worst case, I can always find another board but would rather use what I have now.

Regards,

Gus
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Trying to blend 2 different colored curly maple boards.

Figure out your total width you want divide it by 3, take that number rip your dark and light maple into those dimensions and use the darker maple as an accent
    A Termite walked into a pub and asked,
    "Where's the bar tender?

Apprentice at Ledlie Construction Ltd
    "Never think you know every thing, when it comes to carpentry you're always learning"

Comment

I like that idea a lot. I have 4 boards each about 4.5" wide. I need about a 13"wide top so I think I can get away with using only 3 boards. So i assume yiu mean the dark colored board goes in between the 2 light colored boards?

Comment

Yeah exactly, the dark maple would be your middle accent, so in your case you can do 3 boards at 4.3" which would give you 13" and all three boards are the same or you can make the middle accent piece smaller then the two lighter pieces of maple so like the two lighter pieces at 5.5" and the darker maple in the middle at 2".

Hope this helps
        "Where's the bar tender?

"Never think you know every thing, when it comes to carpentry you're always learning"

Comment

Burtonkidd,

I actually bought another curly maple board and its white. So I have 3 different colored boards to work with. The base of the end table will be made out of cherry. It probably makes sense now to go with your Option 2. Use the 2 white curly maple boards on the outside and either go with the single light brown or dark brown curly maple board for the middle board.

Thanks for the diagrams.

Regards,

Gus

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
            Burtonkidd,

I actually bought another curly maple board and its white. So I have 3 different colored boards to work with. The base of the end table will be made out of cherry. It probably makes sense now to go with your Option 2. Use the 2 white curly maple boards on the outside and either go with the single light brown or dark brown curly maple board for the middle board.

Thanks for the diagrams.

Regards,

Gus
            Ok that's good.
            I dug threw my photos from a couple years ago and I made this cabinet in grade 10

The face frame, rails / stiles and drawer front is cherry, the door trim and drawer trim is ash and the top is popular, while the base and raised panel is pine.
            I would of stuck to 2 or 3 different species of wood but our shop was running low on the good stuff LOL!

But like you said the base is from cherry and that made me think of mine. If you have enough light maple to some trim like mine.

- Brandon
            "Where's the bar tender?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have another question. For the side table that I am making, it will have an additional shelf on the bottom. So I wanted some feedback from some of the members here as to what option would they go with.

Option 1) Use curly maple for the top and for the bottom shelf, cherry for the base/legs,

Option 2) Use curly maple for the top, cherry for everything else (base/legs/bottom shelf)

Regards,
              Gus

Comment

Working...
              X