LV water based powder dyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LV water based powder dyes

I've used these dyes for a while now with good results - ragged on. Today I sprayed a coat of the dye on red oak - even, seemed to absorb well, colour was good. After it dried, I touched it and had a coat of powder on my finger. OK, the shop is very dry, so I sprayed a heavy coat of distilled water, hoping it would cause the dye to soak in. Three hours later, there is still a power on the surface. Now what?

First thought is to spray a mist/trace coat of Endurovar tomorrow to seal it all up. Any advice would be welcome.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: LV water based powder dyes

Something to discuss with LV
    Don

Comment

A mist coat of Endurovar, followed by a heavier coat seems to be working. Off to do the other side now.

Comment

Jack, from chemists point of view, that is what I would expect. Aniline dyes dissolve in water. When you rub them on the water is absorbed into the surface layer of the wood. Any excess water is rubbed off. The water that was absorbed eventually dries / migrates back out, leaving the dye entrapped in the surface grain.

When you spray it on the same process takes place except the surface water is not rubbed off. Consequently it evaporates (very quickly at this time of year) and the dye falls out of solution left behind as a fine powder. Spraying with distilled water would only redissolve the dye and then it would fall out of solution again as the water evaporates. A tiny amount might get absorbed into the wood but likely not much as it would already be saturated from the first application.

Two possibilities with the Endurovar. If the dye is soluble in it then the dye would dissolve and be trapped as the Endurovar polymerises (dries). Alternatively it just coats the dye particles, sealing them under the polymer layer.

Comment

Odd. I was experimenting with spraying this dye over the weekend, and I didn't experience anything like that, at least not on maple. Were you spraying it on too thick?
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

I've sprayed aniline with an HVLP many times. However, I spray quite wet, then wipe off the excess to get a non-blotchy surface. I've never experienced powder residue using this process.
            Grant Wilkinson
            Ottawa ON

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I heard back from LV customer service - apparently it must be wiped or brushed after spraying. That said, the water helped and a mist and two regular coats resulted in a great finish - the client is thrilled. Happy wife, happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack in Nepean View Post
                I heard back from LV customer service - apparently it must be wiped or brushed after spraying. That said, the water helped and a mist and two regular coats resulted in a great finish - the client is thrilled. Happy wife, happy life.
                That seems counter-intuitive to me. Spraying without wiping or brushing limits blotching to a great degree. If you wiped or brushed while the dye was still wet, you would push a wave of dye ahead of the rag or brush and you would get blotching.

I sprayed some on maple and got a nice, even colour with no blotching. I used a couple of very light coats, and it dried really fast.
                Cheers
                Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                  That seems counter-intuitive to me. Spraying without wiping or brushing limits blotching to a great degree. If you wiped or brushed while the dye was still wet, you would push a wave of dye ahead of the rag or brush and you would get blotching.

I sprayed some on maple and got a nice, even colour with no blotching. I used a couple of very light coats, and it dried really fast.
                  I think the reason you have had no problems with the no-wipe technique is because you have been laying down light coats each time so you never oversaturated the wood which could lead to blotching. IMO
                  The only water in the Forest is the river.

Comment

Working...
                  X