Bamboo Island top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamboo Island top

We picked up a couple of 25x72 bamboo 1-1/2" thick countertops from Reno Depot. We are joining them up to make a 45x68 top for our island.

What type of finish should we use? My wife is thinking mineral oil, I was thinking mineral oil and beeswax. Or should we use something like a wipe on poly?

This wont be a wet area, but we do some food prep and we always use cutting boards.

Thanks for the help
    Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bamboo Island top

We also just bought some bamboo counter tops. I plan to use Howard mineral oil and beeswax finish.
    Don't trust everything you see on Holmes on Homes;
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...lems-with-them

Comment

Thanks Bob.

I was watching a demo video video for cutting boards. The guy mixed the beeswax and mineral oil in a slowcooker/dbl boiler, and applyed it while it is warm. Have you had any experience with this technique?

We got the top glued up and set on the island, we still have to sand it and shim it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150218_081226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	910069
      Darrin

Timber Elegance
      My Etsy Store

Comment

Well, we finished the top. Soakec in oil, then rubbed about 5 coats of beeswax/oil mix, over 3-4 days.
        This is the first time we have had a counter with this type if finish and to be honest we don't like it. I think its just a personal thing, we just look at it and it doesn't feel right.

So now my next question. We want to remove the wax and oil, then refinish using satin Oil based WOP.
        What is the best method to get the wax and oil off,to where the poly will stick.
        Currently, in my locker, my choices are Paint Thinner, Varsol, Acetone and Methyl Hydrate.

Other than lots of ventilation, does anyone have some tips for me before I start this?

Thanks again.
        Darrin

Timber Elegance
        My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
          Well, we finished the top. Soakec in oil, then rubbed about 5 coats of beeswax/oil mix, over 3-4 days.
          This is the first time we have had a counter with this type if finish and to be honest we don't like it. I think its just a personal thing, we just look at it and it doesn't feel right.

So now my next question. We want to remove the wax and oil, then refinish using satin Oil based WOP.
          What is the best method to get the wax and oil off,to where the poly will stick.
          Currently, in my locker, my choices are Paint Thinner, Varsol, Acetone and Methyl Hydrate.

Other than lots of ventilation, does anyone have some tips for me before I start this?

Thanks again.
          you have a tough job ahead trying to get a film forming finish to adhere to that now that you've waxed....methyl hydrate *may* strip it, but it may be a lost cause. Can you just flip the top to the unfinished side?
          I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Before you do anything else if you have a cut off piece try working with it first. Put the wax finish on it and see if you can get it off successfully.

Obviously if you can do what Ryan suggests without a problem forget my suggestion.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks guys.

The flip side of the counter is mostly just oil but some wax did get on the outside edges. However, there is lots of wax on the edges.

If I rub it down 3 or 4 times with the methal hydrate, could I then sand it or maybe hand plane it. How far down would I have to go.
              Darrin

Timber Elegance
              My Etsy Store

Comment

An update on the countertop.

We rubbed out the beeswax/oil finish with methy-hydrate. About 3-4 times
                then we sanded with ROS using 100-150-220. The 100 did the brunt of the work with a vacuum attached, and a lot of cleaning using crepe.

Name:	20150415_175311.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	911398

We then rubbed it down with methyl-hydrate again and started the WOP.

My wife is an artist with a roller. We did 3 coats of Minwax WOP Gloss then 1 coat of Satin. Light sanding with 600 grit between coats to knock off the dust bumps.

Its a little glossier than we expected. Counter is now reinstalled and the wife is happy. Now we will see durability. If the gloss shows to many marks we can always dull it with a light sanding.

Overall we are happy.

Name:	20150418_090955.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	911399

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
                Darrin

Timber Elegance
                My Etsy Store

Comment

Looks good.
                  Noel
                  Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
                  X