use the lee valley scraper jig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use the lee valley scraper jig?

I use the lee valley cabinet scraper sharpening jig and holder and they work well but I wonder if using the scraper in the holder dulls the edge much more quickly than holding the scraper by hand and flipping it often as I've seen online. My hands are not as strong as they used to be. Would appreciate experience and advice. Thanks. Fred
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: use the lee valley scraper jig?

What I have noticed Fred, is that the scraper holder limits the use of the scraper to just the middle part and therefore dulls quicker. The scraper seems to flex too much or dig into the wood if trying to use the ends of the scraper. I have more control using a scraper freehand and can move to a fresh edge quickly, however if I have a lot to do, I have to take frequent breaks or my fingers start to get hot. I agree, doing it freehand is more convienent, but the holder is more comfortable on the grip.
    Jeffmacd likes this.
    Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

I use scrapers free-hand most of the time because I started that way and didn't have the holder then. I bought a Veritas holder last summer and quite like it for larger jobs since it is less tiring and cooler to hold. I too find that a scraper used free-hand is the quickest for smaller jobs and it brings a greater degree of flexibility to the work.

I use a scraper plane

or cabinet scraper

for really big pieces vice either the card scraper or scraper/holder set-up. I cannot say that the holder or planes have a profound effect on the frequency of sharpening and burnishing but, to be frank, I really didn't pay all that much attention. None of these things hold an edge all that long in my experience.

Ken

Comment

i think the op is referring to the variable burnishing tool

i have one, kinda gave up on it, too fiddly to adjust the angle imho

it doesnt actually sharpen the scraper, it actually forms the hook after the edge is sharpened, the scraper must sharpened first.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          i think the op is referring to the variable burnishing tool

i have one, kinda gave up on it, too fiddly to adjust the angle imho

it doesnt actually sharpen the scraper, it actually forms the hook after the edge is sharpened, the scraper must sharpened first.
          I think this is what he means by the scraper holder. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,310&p=32669

Click image for larger version

Name:	05k3301s2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1115180

Comment

could be too, i have both, it came as a set from LV with some scrapers
            i dont use either now except the holder when i'm doing a large surface
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Long delay, long story. Thanks for responses. Fred

Comment

Thanks for getting back to us, did you ever get/use the holder?

Just curious

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X