Mitre Sled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Sled

Hi All, I recently had a post asking about the Excalibur EB3 Mitre Gague. The overall opinion was that a sled is the best way to go. So, has anybody got any opinions or experience of the New Incra Miter Express Sled?

Thanks

Ron
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Mitre Sled

Many of us just build our own and either make the angle adjustable or make multiple sleds. Here's one that's simple and easy to build, photo courtesy of Fine Woodworking :

Click image for larger version

Name:	crosscut-beauty-main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1119682

Comment

Hi John, thanks for the post, I have 2 shop made sleds both for bigger projects/panels etc. I was looking for a smaller one for making very accurate cuts while making picture frames.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Gillatt View Post
        Hi John, thanks for the post, I have 2 shop made sleds both for bigger projects/panels etc. I was looking for a smaller one for making very accurate cuts while making picture frames.

Ron
        Ahh I see. So, I went to the web and had a look at this sled that you have referenced. It looks pretty nice, but no matter how fancy it is it's only as accurate as the setup. In my opinion, which is usually not worth too much (no one ever sends me royalties...) I would say that a home made sled, set up as carefully as the Incra, will do the same job. After all, once it's set up it's only job is to push wood thru' the blade.

cheers

Comment

Very True John, I appreciate you input.

Ron

Comment

just build one, lots of instructions on the net.

i use uhmw strips for the guides in the mitre slots and scraps of plywood
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Thanks Steve, I have watched the 'Wood Whisperer' but I am a hands on learner - I need to be shown how to do something and then attempt to copy it! If I go wrong, I need that pointing out there and then and correct the mistakes.

Very nice of you to advise me.

Thanks

Ron

Comment

Here you go Ron --

Name:	Picture Frame Jig Drawing.jpg
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	1119710

Name:	Picture_Jig_Wally_s.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1119711

Here I adapted to do some small 22.5 cuts.

Name:	TT0_zps041a2ce6.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1119712

Comment

Hi Wally,
                  That is very nice of you to send me this. I will download it from my PC tomorrow (I am reading off my phone just now) and I will try to make it !!!

I am very grateful to you, I will keep you informed of my progress!

Regards

Ron

Comment

The benefit of the commercial mitre sled is the ability to set a variety of very accurate angles.

Comment

Thanks Glenn,
                      That is probably the way I will go.

Ron

Comment

Here's another real simple adjustable one that you might want to play with. I don't know who's it is but it is from someone here long ago.

Name:	Miter Sleigh.jpeg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1119771

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                          Here's another real simple adjustable one that you might want to play with. I don't know who's it is but it is from someone here long ago.

Name:	Miter Sleigh.jpeg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1119771
                          Combined with one of these it would be deadly accurate.

Name:	88n9900s1.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1119800
                          Cheers
                          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Miter Sleigh.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	1119771
                            Wally, thank you so much for posting that picture. I'm working on a project that requires a bunch of really precise and repeatable angle cuts, and this sled will be just the ticket. I picked up a piece of 1/2" baltic birch for the base today, and this was the result...

I used a piece of steel angle for the fence base, and added a replaceable face.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	sled1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	1120352

Click image for larger version  Name:	sled2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	1120353

With the 0 (90) Deg stop, I can stand it up on my saw and zero out my digital angle gauge.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	sled zero.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	1120354

I was able to get bang on 45 deg with minimal fiddling.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	sled45.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	1120355

and it can go almost to 67 deg. It looks like the steel is going to interfere with the blade in this picture, but there is about 1/4" clearance at all angles the fence is set at.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	sled max.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	1120356

Last edited by woodhack1; 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

You're welcome -- I tend to keep pics for years and they sometimes come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                              X