Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Router HP for raised panel work

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That about sums up the accuracy of router HP claims. The largest routers are probably about 1 to 1.5 HP, intermittent duty.
    Actually, if "H" stands for "horse" then the largest routers are about 1/15 to 1/10 horse power.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Jim DaddyO View Post

THIS! I love this.

One horsepower is about 745 Watts. Theoretically you can get 2 hp (745 x 2 = 1490 Watts) from a 15A circuit (110V x 15A= 1650 Watts), but with parasitic losses, starting surge, etc. (not sure if that is the right terms) you are likely closer to maxing out a 15A circuit at 1.75hp..............I'd like to know how my Rigid shop vac is rated 6 hp.......what kind of marketing wank is that?
      Yep; it's pretty ridiculous.

I have the Triton 3.25HP permanently installed in a table... it's definitely a heavy duty router, but I don't see how they can possibly call it 3.25HP... if you want/need that kind of actual horse power, you'll need to get a shaper.

I wish routers would report real numbers; I don't know how they can get away with that kind of lunacy.

As per the original post; I use vertical raised panel bits (I've used several), and I can't complain.

--Jeff

Comment

I trolled kijiji until I found one of the big Porter Cable 3.25hp units. The softstart and variable speed control board was toast and wouldn't run anymore so I got it for a song. I removed the small control board and bypassed it with the wiring to make it a hard start, non-variable router. I then added a rockler variable speed adjuster. Works great!

Comment

I have a PC 7518 it is variable speed but have it set on high and have never changed the speed . Run rails and stiles and raised panel bit at the same speed. Never any problems.

Brian
          Wally in Calgary likes this.
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

hp ratings are ridiculous, a 6hp shop vac would suck the drywall off the wall!! you couldnt hold on to a true 3 hp motor on startup if you could even lift it

15 amps at 120 volts is 1800 watts, about 2 1/2 hp, thats the max you can possibly get from a wall outlet and way less with a motor

a router may "consume" 3 1/2 hp of power for a second or two with the shaft locked, just before it melts into a heap of burnt plastic and molten copper
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

The King router arrived yesterday. Have only had time to mount in table using Lee Valley Veritas base plate. Either I'm stupid, or the instructions for the base plate need improvement! Anyway, just wondering if it is ok to adjust speed while the router is running. Nothing in the instructions about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I adjust the variable speed on my routers while they are running; the oldest one is now 27 years old and so far so good.

There is nothing in the instructions that would indicate that you have to shut the router off to adjust the speed; that is true for any/all of my variable speed tools.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X