Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

140 year old Reclaimed wood (rough sawn) - what to do with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 140 year old Reclaimed wood (rough sawn) - what to do with it?

Sure looks and sounds like it's Pine to me.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Ok, thanks

Mama just requested a project, so I'm off to give it a go (She wants those white open bottom tables with the x shape ends with a plain wooden top.

I would have preferred a thicker top, but its a good project for a beginner I guess

thanks again guys

Comment

If you have a 1 inch board for a table top you pretty much have to find a way make it look thicker for the top to look properly proportioned. The pics you posted show this well. Please keep us posted on your progress. The wood looks good to me for a distressed piece.

Comment

I thought it was too yellowish to be pine. The grain looks like pine, the color looks like cedar. until the last picture you posted that shows a hint of pink hue in the lower right bottom. I would say pine for sure...
          Chris
          I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Looks just like the pine our house was built from about eighty years ago. The original builder used rough cut boards that all came from the timber on his woodlot.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

From this picture, the wood looks very much like some older Butternut I bought at an auction about 10 years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6311.JPG Views:	1 Size:	570.3 KB ID:	1138348
              Last edited by Dean; 09-18-2017, 07:36 AM.
              The only water in the Forest is the river.

Comment

i built some chairs from reclaimed cedar studs, the cedar still smelled like cedar even though it was milled 80 or more years ago
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...60#post1138360
                  If you want a thicker top just glue 2 pieces together, or cut a board to say 2" and glue it on in the vertical position so the top looks thick, its best if you can get a tight joint and use glue only so you will need some way of cramping it till the glue dries.
                  Happy days furniture making.
                  beachburl likes this.

Comment

Looks more like fir or spruce to me. they would not have used cedar in a house for anything. Its too soft for framing materials. I am not sure about butter nut but it would not have been around in the average wood lot in any great quantity to be used like that. In the 40's or 50's this would have been spruce or fir.
                    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

looks like pine. once its old and been around its going to have a darker colour just as your photo does ,

Comment

These appear to be 1" thick rough-cut pine anti-racking boards. They were used as interior sheeting ( the interior side of exterior walls) to keep post-and-beam frame buildings structurally sound by preventing racking so the buildings stayed plumb and straight. They also provided a continuous surface to apply interior finishes such as lath and plaster.
                        They are what today we might call construction grade material. Some boards are very long and extra wide which would make them efficient to hang and for the most part remain flat.
                        Attached is a picture of my current project which is fully sheeted with anti-racking boards. We removed the interior, insulated and re-installed the anti-racking boards in the sequence they were removed and will drywall over them, not wishing to disturb the structural integrity.
                        I have a few surplus boards that will be used to make rustic furniture and perhaps some cabinetry for the house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-10 15.52.06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1148565Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-03 14.34.51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.85 MB
ID:	1148566

Comment

Working...