Tresle Slide out table advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tresle Slide out table advice

Well the wife has asked me about replacing our current Ashely table have with a new table. She's looking for something that has leafs or slides. And I've seen some plans out there, but I'm curious if I'm biting off more then I can chew.

Current equipment
    Rigid portable table saw on stand
    Milwaukee Mitersaw
    PorterCable Router
    Mastercraft Thickness planer ( father in law still has it in the box next door)
    Drill press

My current experience has been around making crib boards, out door furniture, some rocking horses, I did just complete a Entry way bench/Coat rack out of Oak plywood and Oak 1x2/1x3.

I'm quite comfortable working with the Kreg Jig,it does make life so much simpler, now I know there are the people who say the Kreg is a short cut for joining etc. I believe my bother in law has an old jointer that I might take off his hands, cause lumber is so expensive these days, I did my Oak bench out of 1x2, 1x3, 1x4 S4S from Timbertown since it was decently priced, but after looking at it, I'm sure with a planer and jointer I could have reduced my costs ( it paid $1.59 a linear foot ) but i'm thinking Windsor plywood by the board ft would reduce my costs.

So I guess what i'm looking for is some advice, guidance, any plans people have used that would work giving my experience and tool setup.

As always thanks in advance guys!

Cheers
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tresle Slide out table advice

Go for it. My first major project was a dining room table. My wife said if you don't start making one right now, I'm going to buy one. All I had built before that was a pine coffee table and aquarium stand using S4S boards from the home center. If didn't have much more than you have ... a bandsaw and small portable Sears jointer with a 24" long table. That was 13 years ago and we are still using it today....

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1142343Click image for larger version

Name:	Table2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1142344

You can see the start of my next major project at the left of the first picture, 6 dining room chairs. My wife said if you don't start making.... I did let her talk me into buying a hollow chisel mortiser for the chairs

Attached Files
    the other Ken
    ------
    "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Wow Ken

That's amazing! To be honest the only thing really holding me back is the cost of lumber ( screwing it up lol) that and the how to make the slides. Since I think I would face join the top boards with Kreg screws to get that hardwood top. Then figuring out how to square it up (don't have a big enough table saw )

again amazing job on that table!

Comment

You can square a table top using a circular saw and a router running against a straight edge.
        When I started my first somewhat real woodworking project that's all I had plus a makita drill and a hammer. I borrowed a router.

As for joining of the table top... screws? No glue? Or am I misunderstanding something?
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Originally posted by mrbobisto View Post
          Wow Ken

That's amazing! To be honest the only thing really holding me back is the cost of lumber ( screwing it up lol) that and the how to make the slides. Since I think I would face join the top boards with Kreg screws to get that hardwood top. Then figuring out how to square it up (don't have a big enough table saw )

again amazing job on that table!
          Hi, no need for screws, the top should be made of boards edge glued together, no dowels, biscuits or splines required.

You can buy wood slides for tables from Lee Valley.

The only machine you're missing is a jointer.................Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks. It took me a while and I learned a lot, mostly from mistakes. One thing about mistakes, it that if you screw up with a bigger piece of wood, save it because it can probably be used in another place. As for the slides, I used some Lee Valley, they were metal ones but they have a little to much flex in them. If I do this again, I will probably try the wood slides.

As for the top, Rod is correct in that just glue is fine. The joints are long grain to long grain so the glue will be more than strong enough. Just be careful with making sure that the boards are even when gluing. Make some simple cauls to keep them flat.

The worst part about the build was that my basement shop only had a 6' ceiling. The chairs were more fun when gluing them up. I used my table saw as the flat surface so the legs wouldn't wobble. That meant that the backs of the chairs were up between the joints when gluing them up. I now have 10' ceilings and just love it.

So go for the table. It will look a lot better to other people than it will look to you. You will see all your little mistakes but everybody else will just look at the whole thing and be amazed.

And post some pictures when you're done.
            the other Ken
            ------
            "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X