Best wax to use on a table saw ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wax to use on a table saw ?

I've heard I should use a wax on the table saw top to keep it rust free and protected, as well as give it a smoother feel when passing wood on it...which ones would people recommend? Also, what other equipment should i use the wax on? (I'm guessing jointer surface?)
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Best wax to use on a table saw ?

Many recommend Johnson's paste wax, I couldn't find it so I am using Minwax floor paste wax. Any paste wax should work but avoid any waxes with silicone (I think many car waxes do) as silicone can cause problems with some finishes on your wood. Wax should be used on any surface where you want the wood to slide, so yes jointer, band saw table, table saw, fences etc. On surfaces where you don't want the wood to slip I use sandpaper to provide a slip free surface eg on jigs where you clamp the wood in place.
    Last edited by Doug G; 02-07-2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

A lot of guys use bostik topcote (now renamed "glidecote" instead. It is easy to apply - just spray it on, wait a minute, wipe it off - and seems to work pretty good in my experience.

Comment

Bostik Top Cote for all machined surfaces. Aerosol that dries to a white powdery film. Prevents rust and slickens the surface. A 10 Oz can lasts for years. I got my last can at HD or Timber Mart. Not sure, it’s been several years

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/po...bostik-topcote
        Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

I use a can of paste wax that I use for furniture and machinery.

I believe Canadian Tire sell Minwax paste wax in the paint department, that should be easy to find locally.........regards, Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks guys! Paste wax it is!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Any non silicone paste wax will do. Some car waxes are carnuba and have no silicone, read the label. I use Tre-wax, which is like Johnson's or Minwax. For my machine surfaces though I make it into a soft wax by gently heating it and then cutting in some 3 in 1 oil.
              More stuff of mine at:
              http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Don't forget you can also wax the sides of handsaws as well the soles of handplanes (you can also wax the sides of your handplanes if you're using a shooting board).

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                  A lot of guys use bostik topcote (now renamed "glidecote" instead. It is easy to apply - just spray it on, wait a minute, wipe it off - and seems to work pretty good in my experience.
                  I found Glide Cote at both Busy Bee and Lee Valley, same size spray can.

Once again, Lee Valley is less expensive that Busy Bee! Only about $1.50, but still......

For a place that has a reputation for being expensive, I have found a lot of items that are the same price or cheaper at Lee Valley.

Both also carry Blade Cote. This time, Lee Valley is about $3.50 cheaper for the same size spray can.

Is there any difference between Glide Cote and Blade Code? Reading between the lines, one might wonder if the only practical difference is in the label....

Comment

Working...
                  X