Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice - Big Staining Job

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
    That’s a great job to charge time plus material.

Nathan
    the only sure way to ensure it is worth your while. Was with a group of people last weekend. One of the couples lives in Hamilton. He was telling me he had a small shed built . He described the builder as a retired handyman that does odd jobs for him. I asked what he charges " he charges $60 an hr " . He comes with a saw and hammer. Something we need to keep in our mind when quoting jobs.

Brian

Jason Tello likes this.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

What I don't understand is the reluctance of some people to accept a given and instead go on a search for a miracle. Tom Sawyer had to whitewash the fence whenever he was told it was time. Aunt Polly provided the material and he found a way to do it. The given was it had to be done every so often and he was going to get a brush and a bucket of whitewash to do it. Today's fences and decks are no different and the products are honestly not much better than the old whitewash. The requested advice above should be simple but no one wants simplicity anymore so they won't accept it. THE ADVICE...............buy a bucket of whatever product was used on the fence and put on another coat. NO IT WON"T LAST FOREVER but nor will the miracle product!

I've stained my fence 3 times in roughly 30 years with the same product.
      Last edited by Rusty; 06-10-2018, 12:29 PM.
      Jason Tello likes this.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1778.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	1188926Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1779.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	1188928Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1780.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1188929

Deck washed but wet in the rain and the 30 year old fence. And yes Steve it was all my work for the last little while. I built everything you see including the house.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rusty; 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Tello View Post
          Hello!

Is $3.00/sqft a good price? Suggestions?

Drop the SF pricing. If you have to ask random people on the internet if the sf cost is right then it's not an estimate it's a guess.

Go through the entire job step by step and figure out how long it's going to take you and be honest .... you're a lot slower than you think.

Get an accurate estimate of the materials you need. If it says a certain amount of coverage on the can add 30 - 40 - 50%. Account for incidentals like rags, brushes, thinner, sand paper.

Figure out how much / hr you want to net. Add a percentage (usually around 40%) on to of that to cover insurance, WCB, truck, office OH, small tools , payroll burden etc. multiply by the number of hours you've estimated ..... add in material costs and if you're in business add profit, if you're a charity don't bother.

When the job is done and you know how long it actually took YOU to do the job and how much you spent THEN you can start thinking about SF pricing.
          Jason Tello likes this.

Comment

Nathan's advice about charging for materials plus the hours it takes. You can give them an estimate of the nr of hours it'll take, but make sure to place a statement at the bottom, just above where they sign that clearly states that the job is something very difficult to give a time estimate on.
            Jason Tello likes this.
            All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I'm interested to know if anyone here would sand the fence and why they would? I definitely would not and nor would I sand a deck but I MIGHT consider the deck if I was changing colour to something so totally incompatible with what exists. Compatibility would also include the water over oil type of question. I would use heavy body stains for fencing and nothing but translucent on decks. Films and skin type finishes are a definite no for me.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                I'm interested to know if anyone here would sand the fence and why they would? I definitely would not and nor would I sand a deck but I MIGHT consider the deck if I was changing colour to something so totally incompatible with what exists. Compatibility would also include the water over oil type of question. I would use heavy body stains for fencing and nothing but translucent on decks. Films and skin type finishes are a definite no for me.
                Fences .... never. Decks ..... not the deck itself but I have sanded railings once. That railing was clear old growth red cedar and it was never to my knowledge finished. It was mostly built in the shop and the client wanted it to look like finished woodwork but allowed to weather so I sanded off any mill marks. I've never stained a deck nor would I. If a client wants to that's fine but you won't see me doing it.
                Jason Tello likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k
                  Drop the SF pricing. If you have to ask random people on the internet if the sf cost is right then it's not an estimate it's a guess.

Go through the entire job step by step and figure out how long it's going to take you and be honest .... you're a lot slower than you think.

Get an accurate estimate of the materials you need. If it says a certain amount of coverage on the can add 30 - 40 - 50%. Account for incidentals like rags, brushes, thinner, sand paper.

Figure out how much / hr you want to net. Add a percentage (usually around 40%) on to of that to cover insurance, WCB, truck, office OH, small tools , payroll burden etc. multiply by the number of hours you've estimated ..... add in material costs and if you're in business add profit, if you're a charity don't bother.

When the job is done and you know how long it actually took YOU to do the job and how much you spent THEN you can start thinking about SF pricing.
                  Agreed. Slower than I think is right. As you've said is how I quote my interlock/stone work & even fencing. I'll keep this in mind. Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Best Regards, Jason.

"Self-control is perhaps the greatest way to measure strength". David C. Pack

"Successful people are successful because they form the habits of doing those things that failures don't like to do". Albert Gray

Comment

So I quoted him at $4/sqft and marked up on everything. Came in at under $5 grand. He said it was too expensive. I'm glad he didn't go with it. I think I still managed to under price it. Lol! Glad I got out of that one. Thank you all for.your feedback. Definitely will keep this in mind. Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Best Regards, Jason.

"Self-control is perhaps the greatest way to measure strength". David C. Pack

"Successful people are successful because they form the habits of doing those things that failures don't like to do". Albert Gray

Comment

You won that one Jason
                      Jason Tello likes this.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I agree.

Nathan
                        Jason Tello likes this.

Comment