Keeping snow from garage woodshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping snow from garage woodshop

I use half of my garage for my woodshop and the other half to park the car. Clearly I have never had the luxury of having a car and a house with a garage -
    yesterday I realized that snow sticks to the tires and melts after the car is parked in the garage... The water seems to go in all directions. Are there any good solutions for containing the melting water? Do those containment garage mats actually work well? If so any suggestions for which one to get? The place is a rental so I cannot make any structural changes to the garage (which also makes heating tricky but that is a problem I will worry about later).

In case anyone is wondering, parking outside is not an option, was already made clear to me ;)
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Keeping snow from garage woodshop

Besides the melted snow, your humidity level skyrockets......rust.
    John
    If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Thought about this for a while, and decided to move the shop into the basement. Seemed like a much better option.
      John@Hamilton likes this.

Comment

Paul:

basement is a good option; the garage will still allow you to break down large size items.

what are your plans for dust collection?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
          Paul:

basement is a good option; the garage will still allow you to break down large size items.

what are your plans for dust collection?
          Yes, I had the same idea about breaking down large items in the garage. I am using mostly hand tools so dust collection is not really an issue. The dust problem was my initial motivation for setting up in the garage, but I decided to go the hand tool route a few months ago.

Comment

I made a dam out of sawdust separating my area from the car area. If I had pics y’all’d be laughing at me.
            callee, corpaul and 2 others like this.

Comment

Watch out for mold (black mold) between the sawdust and floor. Those spores will spread and then lots of problems.+-
              -

Comment

I shovel the sawdust out when it’s saturated then rebuild my dam. I’m a busy beaver in the winter.
                bkrits likes this.

Comment

I guess ripping your garage floor to shreds and rebuilding it isn't a good option?
                  Andrew Smith

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
                    You've been there done that hey, how is it now was it all worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by ub1chris View Post
                      I shovel the sawdust out when it’s saturated then rebuild my dam. I’m a busy beaver in the winter.
                      Sawdust is a great sponge and would work very well in this situation. it's terrific stuff for sweeping a floor too and picking up oil spills as well. There is a formula somewhere that recommends putting a type of oil mixed in with sawdust to sweep commercial floors in schools and the like. It made a sort of homemade dustbane. The janitors in my public school used it all the time including during winter months when 3 or 4 hundred kids came traipsing in out of the snow and mud. Does anyone else remember that? Our school was one of only a few in Toronto that had shop classes and the janitors collected all the sawdust and didn't waste it either. They used it more than once if it was still not too dirty.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Our school was one of only a few in Toronto that had shop classes and the janitors collected all the sawdust and didn't waste it either. They used it more than once if it was still not too dirty.
                        Yes, some of us have always taken ''green'' and ''recycling'' seriously!

Comment

I doubt the landlord will approve ;)

Started moving my stuff to the basement today... putting in a dricore floor to not damage the concrete (or my tools). Seems to work well, the floor is surprisingly level there.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

You've been there done that hey, how is it now was it all worthwhile?
                            Absolutely! It was a hell of a lot of work, but I still get pleasure from the results, and probably will do for many years to come.
                            Andrew Smith

Comment

Absolutely! It was a hell of a lot of work, but I still get pleasure from the results, and probably will do for many years to come.
                              Its a good feeling when you have done something yourself for yourself it even better when you've done it right like kids with a sand castle or a mud pie, I just hope you stay in the house and enjoy it for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X