Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maximum router bit kit??

Originally posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
    OK so I actually went out and picked up one of these sets. Iím just learning this hobby. I figured it might not be a bad idea to have some to mess around with some scraps figure out what Iím doing. Or do use on my early projects which arenít going to be too fancy to begin with.

when I go to dig into finer projects, Iíll go buy the ones I need

thanks for your help guys
    I think you made a good move, don't forget to consider the return policy if they are really bad and don't forget to let us know how they work for you.
    ShoestringMariner likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

You know threads like this are difficult because there are always going to be opinions expressed but hopefully when you ask the question you're prepared for the responses. A lot of times even though it is the best advice it gets ignored because nobody likes to think they did something wrong when in fact it's not so wrong. It's just that there could be better ways.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Not sure what Rusty is getting at but it seems to indicate he disagrees with your decision, but don't be too worried about that. You made a sensible choice and it will help you get started. If these bits work, even for awhile, you get to learn and they are dirt cheap. As others have pointed out, you can use these to determine which bits suit your needs and eventually buy better ones.

For example, when I bought my first lathe, I wasn't sure if I would take to it, and I didn't know how to sharpen the tools. Instead of buying an expensive HSS set, I bought a dirt cheap carbon steel set that I had to sharpen a lot. Money well spent. I learned what tools I wanted, and I avoided grinding away expensive tools while learning to sharpen. I eventually chucked them, but they were a good investment.

Please report back once you get rolling. We would be interested in hearing your experience.

Happy routing!
        Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 12-21-2018, 03:11 PM.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
          Not sure what Rusty is getting at but it seems to indicate he disagrees with your decision, but don't be too worried about that. You made a sensible choice and it will help you get started. If these bits work, even for awhile, you get to learn and they are dirt cheap. As others have pointed out, you can use these to determine which bits suit your needs and eventually buy better ones.

For example, when I bought my first lathe, I wasn't sure if I would take to it, and I didn't know how to sharpen the tools. Instead of buying an expensive HSS set, I bought a dirt cheap carbon steel set that I had to sharpen a lot. Money well spent. I learned what tools I wanted, and I avoided grinding away expensive tools while learning to sharpen. I eventually chucked them, but they were a good investment.

Please report back once you get rolling. We would be interested in hearing your experience.

Happy routing!
          For god sake Randy why do you have to make everything so personal. There is nothing ulterior or mysterious about what I said. The Man asked a question and I responded. Now you are reading something into my comments that isn't there. I do disagree and that's exactly what I said in perfect English!!! AND,,,, I gave my reasons. AND,,,, there are those here who agree with me. The man can choose whatever he wants to do after reading both sides of the discussion. That's what a discussion is all about.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

For god sake Randy why do you have to make everything so personal. There is nothing ulterior or mysterious about what I said. The Man asked a question and I responded. Now you are reading something into my comments that isn't there. I do disagree and that's exactly what I said in perfect English!!! AND,,,, I gave my reasons. AND,,,, there are those here who agree with me. The man can choose whatever he wants to do after reading both sides of the discussion. That's what a discussion is all about.
            Look. Itís not personal. The OP weighed the advice he got and made a sound decision. He doesnít need you piping in and trying to make him feel like he made a mistake. You were just miffed he didnít do what you advised.

My post was to assure him that he did make a good choice for HIM, not you.
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Guys, I did weigh out all options. I decided last day of the sale to snap it up. I need a trim bit and a radius or round over bit so what the hell. Then I can mess around with other bits to learn.
              Do I think they will be great? No. But Iím going into this thing to have fun and learn. I donít want to invest much either because I have other hobbies to feed.
              djnelson likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Good luck with them. Let us know how they work for you.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Just wanted to give a heads-up that they're on sale again this week for $79.99 ...

I know the arguments ... I have a set of regular Mastercraft bits and 1 was badly machined, but I need 4 bits that are in that kit for a small project and the job will pay for the set, then like others said, I'll have the rest just in case I have a small job or to show as a sample before buying "real" bits for bigger projects.
                  Doug G likes this.

Comment

Just wanted to give an update .. I went to Canadian Tire on Saturday to pick up the bits ... opened it in the store before buying to check out the bits .... Left Canadian Tire and went to buy some Freud bits instead!!

Maximum USED to be Canadian Tire's better quality line, but I don't know what they've done! ... My old set of crappy Mastercraft bits were much better then these "Maximum" bits! ... First bearing I checked was as rough as could be, second one just fell off in my hand when I tried to spin it!! ... That and bits I would have expected to be 1/2" shank were 1/4" ...

Should have listened to Rusty in the first place, but I was going by the 15 year old or so Mastercraft bits I had.

Having said that, I still really like my Maximum router (but those seem to have gone downhill since also, guess they changed manufacturers) and I seem to have somehow got the only good Maximum drill-press ever made, been running it like a dog for years working with metal and it has never had a problem!

Comment

Working...
                    X