First time using pocket holes: 3/4" pine - joints not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time using pocket holes: 3/4" pine - joints not working

Hello! First timer here and first time using pocket holes. I tried to join two pieces of 3/4" pine using Kreg pocket holes with a 1-1/4" coarse screw but found that no matter how I screwed them together, I was able to pull the pieces apart. I eventually tried using one 8x2-1/2" screw butt joint and it held the two pieces together tightly. I thought that butt joints were not as strong as pocket holes - what am I doing wrong?

thanks for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50006582_967520183440117_553794745298583552_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1219277Click image for larger version

Name:	49815832_366203490834573_2681020677535825920_n.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1219278 ?

• WeQuick
    replied
    Really?!?!? .. The review said the cross cut blades were flat ... :(

Leave a comment:

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by WeQuick View Post
    .... Its like the others shown here ....
    Not really. The other saws suggested only have set on one side of the blade so they don't damage the workpiece when flush cutting. Yours is good for general sawing but will scuff the surface if used flush as in the OP's application.

Leave a comment:

• WeQuick
    replied
    I ordered this one just this past Wednesday .... Its like the others shown here, but full size, making it more useful for my needs ....

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HGQXXWC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Leave a comment:

• rfielder
    replied
    Also, for quite a bit less:

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...-pull-saw.html
    Last edited by John Bartley; 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM. Reason: fixed link to saw

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    You can use a chisel to cut them off. Practice on some scrap first.

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    not to disuade anyone from buying a nice/useful tool
    but if you're doing a lot of pocket holes, there are specific dowel/plugs that you can get for them.

granted a length of dowel cut @ an angle works easily enough.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    I have the same Lee Valley saws, they work well.

Leave a comment:

• Kayak Jim
    replied

Name:	05k3401s3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1219477
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...28&cat=1,42884

Leave a comment:

• teewee
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the explanations. I double checked my stop coller length (3-1/2") and the jig depth (3/4") and both were correctly set as I didn't have to adjust. Then tried drilling new holes, this time paid extra attention to make sure I went the full depth and drilled positions A-B, instead of A-C near the centre of 1x3" stock - worked! The screws actually tightened and my drill clutched out.

Since I was playing around, I also tried to plug the hole with a 3/8" dowel and trim with a multitool but the power tool was pretty agressive. Anyone have suggestions on an affordable flush cut saw? (not sure if that's the proper term..)

Leave a comment:

• mike66
    replied
    A quick look at your picture tells me your holes are too far away from the edge of the board so I am guessing the depth setting on the jig is not correct and also could be the stop collar on the drill bit. My guess is maybe both. As mentioned above, use the instructions to set the depths and the joint should be much stronger than a butt joint. Have never had a problem with a pocket hole joint with the Kreg jig.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Go with a glued lap joint.??

Leave a comment:

• Jacques Leclerc
    replied
    Same as Wally is saying. I used pocket hole all the time and no problems.
    Jacques

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Adjust the collar on the drill bit . That is what wally is suggesting

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by teewee View Post
    Hello! First timer here and first time using pocket holes. I tried to join two pieces of 3/4" pine using Kreg pocket holes with a 1-1/4" coarse screw but found that no matter how I screwed them together, I was able to pull the pieces apart. I eventually tried using one 8x2-1/2" screw butt joint and it held the two pieces together tightly. I thought that butt joints were not as strong as pocket holes - what am I doing wrong?

thanks for your help!

Name:	50006582_967520183440117_553794745298583552_n.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1219277Click image for larger version

Name:	49815832_366203490834573_2681020677535825920_n.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1219278 ?
    You do not have the depth set properly when drilling. There is a gauge on the jig to set it for 3/4" material. Look up the instructions for your jig.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X