Need advise on how to acclimate new barn board before installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on how to acclimate new barn board before installation

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. Hello đź‘‹

I am building a half wall around my staircase. I've build the framing from 2x4s and I am using barn board finishing. The barn board is new from Home Hardware, it is *not* reclaimed. I will be staining it before I install it.

My first question is; how long do I need to let it acclimate? The temperature is lower in my basement where I am storing it (poor insulation, old house). I think the humidity down there is also less than the humidity upstairs where it's being installed, judging by the feel of the air.

Which brings me to my second question; since the temperature/humidity is a bit different upstairs where it's being installed, should I be sitting it in the hall to acclimate rather than keeping it in the basement?

I bought the wood 5 days ago. I cut it last night.

Thanks in advance!

Bronwen

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need advise on how to acclimate new barn board before installation

I know that stuff will shrink a lot as it dries inside, resulting in large gaps between pieces. Any idea as to how much moisture content it has. You could use tar paper as a backer, that way gaps will look black.
    gojaysgo2013 and JimPTBO like this.
    sigpic
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Re: Need advise on how to acclimate new barn board before installation

Isn't tar paper for exterior use only due to the off gassing?

You could sticker and stack them for a few weeks near the installation area and it should be OK. It will move no matter what over time. I would ship lap the edges so if it does shrink there wouldn't be a gap all the way through.
      Tokley, smallerstick and nnieman like this.
      More stuff of mine at:
      http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Working...
      X