Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about gluing air dried wood

Hey guys, questions about air dried wood;

I知 thinking about buying some air dried maple to build a workbench top for my garage. The garage is at 7ー to 10ー Most of the time through the winter, heated to about 20ー when I知 in it working. Summer, it痴 usually fairly cool except for the hottest months.

Am I asking for trouble if the moisture percentage is about 12%? I知 thinking this isnt usually considered true heated space.
    The tabletop will be about 36 inches by 68 inches

Also, what was the going price be for air dried maple (roughly)?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Question about gluing air dried wood

SM... Varying RH is more the problem than varying temperature. Wood moves very little along its length, so glue-ups are fine. When attaching the tabletop to your base, allow for movement in its width. Googling 努ood expansion will get you a boatload of info which will give you the expected movement with your wood of choice and varying garage conditions. No idea of wood prices in your area, Roy
    ShoestringMariner likes this.
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Re: Question about gluing air dried wood

As Roy indicated, the challenge resides in varying moisture levels. Given that your wood is air dried, variations due to fluctuations in ambiant humidity will be a bit more than kiln-dried wood (physical changes in wood cells cause by kiln treatment) but proper installation of the tabletop will take care of the potential variations in width.

I am sure you will enjoy your workbench.
      ShoestringMariner likes this.

Comment

Working...
      X