Salvaged old growth timber project ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvaged old growth timber project ideas

A 100+ year old heritage house down the street from me is undergoing renovations and they're throwing away a bunch of true 2x4 old growth douglas-fir timber. This stuff is heavy, incredibly solid, smells amazing, and has very tight rings with a great reddish colour. I've managed to grab and clean up quite a few 4 ft - 6 ft lengths and pull out the classic nails.

I don't want to waste this wood and use it for general building material so I'm hoping you guys could offer up a couple of project ideas for this incredible wood.

I have basic tools: Skillsaw, old chop saw, router, jigsaw, drills, and a planar. I have some experience laminating and making small tables. I was thinking of making a dining table but I'm not yet very confident in making legs or edging.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Salvaged old growth timber project ideas

Guitar bodies
    A hallway bench
    coffee table

Or a cool tool cabinet for your shop

Nathan

Comment

I found an old beam of Douglas fir that came out of a building I believe, tight grain nice colour a bit of worm unfortunately, I didn't have enough to do the whole top so I put in the compass point, the top is only 8mm thick laid on MDF cutting out the laminates for the radiused edge put a bit if saw dust on the floor, I covered it with a pour on epoxy.
      About 2m long and the wide part is 900mm.
      I also made some out door chairs from Douglas fir, but as suggested above anything is possible, just draw it first and give it some thought.
      Spencer58, corpaul and iamtooler like this.

Comment

Hi, I also have some old growth Douglas Fir, here's a link to my previous post on the subject, along with a couple of projects I made from the wood.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-district-wood

Here's a link to a book I purchased regarding a famous Douglas Fir.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...ig-lonely-doug

regards, Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

A new top for my work bench

Comment

Considering it's that old it will be dry and probably hard. Today's Fir drys so hard you can't drive a nail into it and it splinters badly. I wonder how the old stuff reacts. Being a century old it may perform differently.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Considering it's that old it will be dry and probably hard. Today's Fir drys so hard you can't drive a nail into it and it splinters badly. I wonder how the old stuff reacts. Being a century old it may perform differently.
              Hi Rusty, I didn't try nailing it, but boy, does it produce wickedly sharp little splinters.....................Regards, Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

The 2bys in my shop are fir and when I was nailing up the plywood for the walls I had to use a palm nailer because the nails would just bend with a regular framing hammer.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Thanks for that Jerome. Most people just tell me I'm full of you know what when I tell them how hard that "softwood" gets when it dries. lol

Some of those guys frequent this forum. Imagine that. lol

If you're going to work with it your best plan would be to plan on doing some drilling.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

I grabbed a few boards of old growth Hem-Fir from a horse barn rebuild project I did in 1998 and looked at it and touched it(with clean hands) until 2015 when I finally realized I couldn't take it with me to the promised land so I made a very nice small bench top for a work bench in the laundry room downstairs.

Comment

Working...
                    X