Planing Rough Sugar Maple Desk Top?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planing Rough Sugar Maple Desk Top?

Hello Woodworkers hoping someone can point me in the right direction with my next project. Iím fairly new to woodworking, having done a number of cutting boards and a kitchen table and bench all from rough unfinished wood but all that wood Iíve been able to send through my planer. Iím now on a single piece wider project, a 24Ēx60Ē piece of Sugar Maple for a desk top in my office.

Seeing as it will not fit into my planer I realize I need to invest in a Plane, but not sure which/what to get. I could go to Lee Valley and ask but donít have a kidney to spare But also realize it is a tool I will have for ever so would make the purchase if need be.

So, my question is - any suggestions on a plane and one that will help me learn and yet not break the bank with the thought of future upgrading if possible.?

Here is my slab, I am super excited, no idea what I am going to do for legs as yet but that is part of the fun process as well!

Thanks for the help,
    Dennis

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Planing Rough Sugar Maple Desk Top?

You could probably rip it in two right along that crack and solve two problems at once. Plane each piece equally and then glue it back together. If the crack isn't dead straight and parallel use a track saw to cut it.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Electric hand planer and a belt sander for rough up top. Rip and glue the thin crack. Chisel out the wide punky material and either just leave or do a clear epoxy fill??? For a desk a glass sheet cover might be a consideration.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Good advice above, I suspect the way to avoid giving up a kidney for a plane is to go used. There are at least a few guys on this forum with experience refurbishing old planes, I think Sarir is one of them based on his annual Christmas tool auction. Maybe post this question in the hand tool section or the swap meet to see if someone has a used refurbished plane for sale.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion guys - yes, I guess ripping it and running it through my 735 would make my life simple and cost effective, but Iím not opposed to getting a hand plane and prefer to keep it as a simple piece. Iíll post in the swap meet and see if anyone has anything kicking around.

Still open to suggestions though. I know there are many different kinds of planes as well.
          Dennis

Comment

Hi, normally when I glue up large surfaces I use a card scraper and a #7 plane.

Normally I only need the card scraper............Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have a number of older planes of various make as well as new Veritas planes. While the older planes can be tuned up to work well, I find they don't work as well in all situations as the new Veritas planes. I know you don't want to spend the money on a new plane but given what you are looking at with the maple I recommend biting the financial bullet and going for a new plane. A low angle would be my choice.
              stotto, KenL and GearGoat like this.

Comment

Thanks dwoody - I have a feeling a Veritas plane might be in my future, and realizing that Iíd have it for a lifetime does help with the discussion with the wife! (She is pretty good!). I posted in the Swap forum if anyone has anything will give that a few days while I continue to research.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. If someone else finds this thread interesting - to complete my findings... In another thread I started in the Swap Meet looking for used, it was suggested I look into Rob Cosman for some videoís on how to use the plane, etc... think Iíve decided on a No 5 1/2 and possibly a No. 7. The wood show is next weekend so my timing is perfect, will see what happens next weekend.

Comment

If you never worked with planes I would totally get an older one. If you screw up your sharpening or you do something that will hurt the plane you will not feel bad about it if you got it for 10$ at a garage sell rather than spending a few brown ones on a shiny new one and finding out that you forgot to wax it and it's getting pitted with rust.

Same thing with any hand tool really. If you can find old ones for cheap they work and they will teach you how to take care of them and then once you know the basics get a new one from a reputable dealer. We are lucky here to have Lee Valley for quality tools.
                    GearGoat likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X