Delta, King Canada, General international Table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta, King Canada, General international Table saw

I'm a beginner for woodwork, looking for a table saw(cabinet saw) for my first project, 2 HP around, accurately, can cut hardwood (oak or maple) smoothly and easily. I 'm struggling on used Delta and new King ,General table saw because their price is same mostly and I have limited experience . Any one has advice or comments about table saw? Thanks for your time.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta, King Canada, General international Table saw

I'm in the same boat .. been saving up planning on buying a used cabinet saw, but have also been checking out those same 3 saws. When I factor in what it would cost me to get a decent fence and fix up an older saw compared to these that come equipped with a riving knife and all, I'm pretty tempted to go the new route seeing as I'd probably be only saving a couple hundred , especially since the Kings are on sale at my local dealer. I was looking at the 2hp also, but spoke with someone who has it and while he loves everything else about the saw after 18 months with it, he wishes he had the 2-1/2hp because the 2hp bogs down a little with hardwood (but still satisfied with the saw) (the 2hp is on sale for $1399, the 2-1/2hp $1599 and the 2-1/2hp with 50" fence for $1699) ... I'm a beginner too, but I find myself in my shop for a bit each day so been thinking about the 2-1/2, but not sure if its that much better, haven't heard any direct input on it.

Comment

If a true riving knive is a must,and that's wise in my opinion,but completely up to your two,choice is made.
      if you are concerned about power,first off,do you indeed anticipate cutting 8/4 hardwood?
      i would also investigate that the lower hp saws are indeed cabinet saws,and not hybrids.

Comment

Being a frugal person, I wonder why a casual woodworker would need the luxury of a very powerful saw. There are numerous reasons (other than HP) why a saw "bogs down." Feed rate, wood quality, blade type or condition, etc. King is a good tool but if you look at some of the contractor portable saws like Ridgid, Roybi, Dewalt, etc you will find all that one needs for casual work and still have $$ left for other equipment like a good fence if necessary. Contractors use these every day, often under quite abusive conditions. IMO the major portion of a quality finished piece is in the workmanship not the tools.
        Millhouse421 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ofoori View Post
          Being a frugal person, I wonder why a casual woodworker would need the luxury of a very powerful saw. There are numerous reasons (other than HP) why a saw "bogs down." Feed rate, wood quality, blade type or condition, etc. King is a good tool but if you look at some of the contractor portable saws like Ridgid, Roybi, Dewalt, etc you will find all that one needs for casual work and still have $$ left for other equipment like a good fence if necessary. Contractors use these every day, often under quite abusive conditions. IMO the major portion of a quality finished piece is in the workmanship not the tools.
          you are correct about the reasons for bogging,but a portable is not equal to a cabinet saw,capacity and longevity of the saw immediately come to mind.

Comment

I for most part I'm new to woodworking too, so as I have with everything else I do and buy I look at equipment on websites for new (price, specs, options and reviews) then to Kijiji for used. but if prices are close I buy new, In 2 weeks is the Woodworking Show at the International Center, a great place to see it all at once, ask questions, and get exited, and overwhelmed, should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by WeQuick View Post
              I'm in the same boat .. been saving up planning on buying a used cabinet saw, but have also been checking out those same 3 saws. When I factor in what it would cost me to get a decent fence and fix up an older saw compared to these that come equipped with a riving knife and all, I'm pretty tempted to go the new route seeing as I'd probably be only saving a couple hundred , especially since the Kings are on sale at my local dealer. I was looking at the 2hp also, but spoke with someone who has it and while he loves everything else about the saw after 18 months with it, he wishes he had the 2-1/2hp because the 2hp bogs down a little with hardwood (but still satisfied with the saw) (the 2hp is on sale for $1399, the 2-1/2hp $1599 and the 2-1/2hp with 50" fence for $1699) ... I'm a beginner too, but I find myself in my shop for a bit each day so been thinking about the 2-1/2, but not sure if its that much better, haven't heard any direct input on it.
              I know you don't mean it but it's because you honestly don't know. You can save a thousand dollars not hundreds as you say by watching for good used saws. I paid $100.00 all in for a perfectly good used Unisaw. All it needed was a cord. I'm a professional contractor and have used the saw for years. Maybe today with inflation etc. that saw might have cost me $200.00. There are tons of good saws out there if you care to watch.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

IMHO there is no reason any hobby woodworker needs a table saw with more than 1-1/2 hp. I have used a Mastercraft contractor style saw for 10 years and it did an excellent job. I never felt it not have enough power to rip 2" thick hardwoods. I even ripped 3" thick hard maple. All that said, having a good blade, accurate miter gauge, cross cut sled is very important. I managed to get glueline rip cuts off the saw with proper blades. I personally would stay away from those plastic table saws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_35.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1223441
                The saw above is the one I mentioned. The saw in picture not mine however identical.

Comment

I understand what you're saying Rusty and know that old tools (and pretty much everything) are way better then new tools, but new tools (and pretty much everything) put safety standards above all, so as a newish woodworker, its a tough decision because I know I would feel much safer with a newer saw, but an older saw would be more solid and probably last longer.

And for the other comment above about the contractor saw, while I have little experience, I've experienced both and a contractor saw just can't be compared to a cabinet saw. Its like comparing a chainsaw to a mitre saw!

Comment

I understand what you're saying Rusty and know that old tools (and pretty much everything) are way better then new tools, but new tools (and pretty much everything) put safety standards above all, so as a newish woodworker, its a tough decision because I know I would feel much safer with a newer saw, but an older saw would be more solid and probably last longer.

And for the other comment above about the contractor saw, while I have little experience, I've experienced both and a contractor saw just can't be compared to a cabinet saw. Its like comparing a chainsaw to a mitre saw!
                    I don't know what exactly you're thinking about but if it's cutting your finger for example any saw can be guarded such that you can't get anywhere near the blade and it's a helluva lot cheaper than a sawstop. I think you've pretty much convinced yourself of new though. That's OK. No worries.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

i don't believe older is better,it's just that the unisaw style saw,and all the similar ones that followed,and are still being produce are so well designed to the point that the old ones still work as well as when made new.so except for the advancements in guarding and fences( to some point,I prefer the unifence) there is no advantage to buying new,unless you need your saw to run for fifty or more years,and perhaps the old one will do that as well
                      its sort of like if cars never changed from model t,but the new model t had airbags and seat belts.

Last edited by al.m..; 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                        i don't believe older is better,it's just that the unisaw style saw,and all the similar ones that followed,and are still being produce are so well designed to the point that the old ones still work as well as when made new.so except for the advancements in guarding and fences( to some point,I prefer the unifence) there is no advantage to buying new,unless you need your saw to run for fifty or more years,and perhaps the old one will do that as well
                        its sort of like if cars never changed from model t,but the new model t had airbags and seat belts.
                        Well, I don't want to disagree with you, but I doubt that new model T with air bags and all will ever see even 25 years ... If its not the paper thin body that rusts out, it will be some defective sensor that sets off the airbags and it will be too expensive and too hard to find new parts to repair it ... New saws have made in China parts and motors, while they have the same basic design, I would be surprised if the new saws are anywhere near as durable as the old ones.

So no Rusty, I am not convinced yet ... I still believe in older tools... I guess the right one would have to come along and I would be happy, not brand new, but not ancient and not too beaten up.
                        Last edited by WeQuick; 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Well, I don't want to disagree with you, but I doubt that new model T with air bags and all will ever see even 25 years ... If its not the paper thin body that rusts out, it will be some defective sensor that sets off the airbags and it will be too expensive and too hard to find new parts to repair it ... New saws have made in China parts and motors, while they have the same basic design, I would be surprised if the new saws are anywhere near as durable as the old ones.
                          my point was the basic design has not changed in many decades for that type of cabinet saw.The air bags and seat belts were to draw a parallel with modern guards.Asian machines may very well pass the test of time,and many have.
                          its unfortunate that North American production has priced it's self out of the market,I would much rather see new machines built here,but that does not mean Asian is inferior,we should have learned that lesson laughing at Japanese cars a few decades ago,North American auto industry got there buts kicked and may never recover

Comment

The problem is more western capitalism then Asian manufacturing. I used to work for Lexus and there was a team of engineers that would travel around to different locations around the planet and would offer customers that were having their cars serviced a free new paint job. They would then take the cars and do scratch tests all over the body to see where the car was rusting more and would also test and change some mechanical parts, testing at different locations so their cars would be better and better. Japan wants to dominate and they know how to do it. American companies are the opposite. They spend most of their time seeking out cheaper manufacturers and are constantly having quality control issues because of it and most of their testing based on California conditions. In my high school yearbook, the caption says "Could you ever picture Pete driving a Civic". I was a true Chevy man, I've had over 20 of them ... My last 3 cars have been Civics ..

Same thing goes with tools ... Dewalt was awesome a few years ago when they were American made. Now they outsourced to China and still use the "Made in USA" as a few of their tools are assembled in the USA by Americans, but with Chinese made parts. I can't think of any tool that has gone to Chinese that is as good as they were when they were made in NA.

Its not so much that NA production has priced itself out of the market as they're trying to play someone else's game. By that I mean, the US will never be able to develop silicone chips and sensors as cheaply as what China can. Good old American tools didn't have sensors and chips....

Comment

Many thanks for guy's comments. it is challenge to buy used table saw for woodwork beginner. we have not much experience in table saw and have no idea how hard the previous owner was on the motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X