No announcement yet.

Kitchen door replacement - hinge holes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen door replacement - hinge holes?

We would like to replace our kitchen doors and there is one thing I don't have an answer for. Existing doors are hang by Euro hinges, and they are attached by Euro screws. My question is: should I use same holes to attach new hinges (for new doors) or should I drill new holes and attach new hinges there, and old one plug somehow (don't know how)? What would be good practice?

Thanks,
    Milosh
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kitchen door replacement - hinge holes?

First, compare the hinges you have with the new hinges you are getting: many of them can click onto the same mounting plate, so you might be able to get away with leaving the existng mounting plates right where they are and just clicking the new hinges right onto them.

​​​​second, assuming you need to install new mounting plates, what is the cabinet box material and how good a shape is it in around where the mounting plates are screwed in? As long as it's in good shape, i.e. not particle board cracking off in chunks, I would probably just re-use the same holes. Put a dab of titebond glue into the hole before driving the new screws in - that will impregnate and strengthen the wood around the screw.

Patching the existing holes and drilling new ones would be a lot of work, would likely still be visible, and I'm not sure what bennefit that would give you.

Comment

Any reason you aren't reusing the existing hinges? If you can, you just need to drill the new doors to match the hinge locations on the existing doors.

Comment

Boxes are from particle board, and they are old, but still good, I think. Keeping same mounting plate is good idea. Originals are Ferrari hinges. Not sure if I can get them here. Have to look.

The doors are old, old look and some of the hinges are used and abused. With a new doors it will look better, we think.

Thanks,
        Milosh

Comment

I would certainly put on new hinges with the soft close feature. I am familiar with the Ferria hinges but not sure who sells them but am almost certain the mounting plates would not work with another brand of hinge. Are the current hinges secured to the cabinet by a screw or spring loaded. You may avoid filling the old holes by moving you new mounting plates a 1/4 of an inch higher or lower than the existing holes and the old holes will be covered by the mounting plates. When you buy new hinges make sure you get the mounting plates based on the thickness of you gables and the set back from edge of door for the hinge cup

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Brian,

thanks for your thoughts. Not sure what do you mean how the new holes will be covered with new plate? If I move it up or down one hole will be covered, but other exposed. You must see something I don't.

Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190330_102325.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	1237036
            Last edited by digger; 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM.
            Milosh

Comment

I'm with Brian on this one. Those hinges will be too worn and not acceptable for a new door. Take your plates off and either use a wooden chopstick or some golf tees and tap them into the holes and then cut off with a flush cut saw or sharp chisel. Then you will have a good place to drive a screw for the new plates. This works good for hanging an entrance door too and the holes won't hold the screws.
              stevem likes this.

Comment

Are the existing plate screws screwed into the particle board or into a round plastic dowel. If they did not use dowels you would not have to raise or lower the plate that much. When I get back to the shop this afternoon I will try it as I have lots of plates.

Brian
                If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

All the plates use the same mounting criteria. The holes are 32mm apart and inset 37mm from the front. If your plates are still firmly attached, you would just use the same holes for the new plates. If the holes are damaged (stripped, etc) then you could just drill out the hole to 3/16" or so and glue in a dowel. Then redrill the holes.
                  the other Ken
                  ------
                  "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

i agree, new hinges,old ferrari ones are pretty poor
                    if needed fill the mounting holes with wood dowel as suggested
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thank you guys for your help.

Plate screws are screwed into the particle board, and are Euro screws.

Any suggestion about the model of the hinge? Richelieu has no many to chose from, full overlay, 110 degree... I am thinking about something like Product # 8511600 with mounting plate Product # 75241602. Will this work?

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...84/sku-8511600

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...8/sku-75241602

Milosh

Comment

When I click your link it shows 3 different plates and I would use the one numbered 175244402 it has an added cam feature [screw] that allows the mounting plate to slide up or down a little bit. If the euro screw holes are in good shape the euro screws will hold really well. if they are at all abused and the screws are loose buy the mounting plates that include the plastic dowel that Brian described above and you can glue the dowel into the Euro screw hole and then use the smaller screw that comes with the dowel and plate as described in the number above. [Pre-mounted with expando dowels and cam adjustment.] No drilling required at all.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

If the plates are good and solid just leave them alone. What Ferrari hinges that still work will likely continue to work forever. If you need to replace any with exact replacements just PM me.

Comment

Rusty, thanks for your input.
                            Change of part which is broken with original one will be win/win combination.

RV Sam PM sent.

Thanks
                            Milosh

Comment

Working...
                            X