ironwood / hornbeam uses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ironwood / hornbeam uses

Hello All, i met a gentleman last week when i bought some cherry burls off facebook and ended up going on a tour of a 500 acre woodlot. He asked if I would be interested in buying wood at whole sale prices, of course i said yes lol. The big one is that he has a number if ironwood trees on the lot. Plus beech, ash, maple, birch, black cherry etc. Question is, if i bought a ironwood tree what would be the best uses to sell it as? knife blanks or turning blanks or boards? This is New Brunswick variation and not the Desert Ironwood if that makes a difference. I thought this might make a nice little part time income maker?...Thoughts appreciated.
    Still learning after all these years
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: ironwood / hornbeam uses

I can't comment on uses for Ironwood/Hornbeam, but I am curious about this "wholesale prices" conversation in relation to 500 acres. Are you planning to do harvesting and processing? I ask because I can't see wholesale pricing happening for less than truckload (three tiers) volume.

This is a LOT of work for a bit of sideline income .... skidders, loaders, trucks, trailers ...

Just curious ....
    creeker likes this.

Comment

If the landowner can realize the same price as a mill would pay but not have to hire a logger/trucker and maybe get paid cash for a few trees that could be good for both parties. Unfortunately having lumber milled on a portable band mill is extremely expensive. I doubt that ironwood has any commercial value other than firewood.
      Rob
      creeker likes this.

Comment

Firewood
        Chisel handles
        Mallet heads

Thats about it.

A friends dad made a handle for a splitting maul cause he got sick of us kids breaking them.
        It might as well be made out of steel.

Its still around, possibly because no one will use it lol

Nathan
        creeker likes this.

Comment

I heard tell of a paddle being made from one, it was 18'' diameter and straight as it was on a golf course. In the townships they call it lever wood.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            I heard tell of a paddle being made from one, it was 18'' diameter and straight as it was on a golf course. In the townships they call it lever wood.
            18" diameter paddle?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Going back a little, we used to make tongues for horse and tractor drawn wagons etc. out of it. Never had to make too many.

Murray
              creeker likes this.
              This wood is all clear between the knots.

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. John, the lot owner has his own equipment and is doing some firewood logging already for limited people. The wholesale part is where he or I can select trees with burls or for hardwood lumber and i can buy by the tree and he would get it out of the woods for me. i would have to do all the processing after that but I would only be grabbing half a dozen trees at a time if i can, and i know enough guys with portable sawmills that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get some trees made into lumber of my choosing. This is all strictly speaking just minor league stuff and my thought was that i could take one ironwood tree and chunk it up into mallet heads then put them on ebay or something for those guys who want to try their hand at ironwood mallets or knife handle blanks you know? How many knife handle blanks would one tree make??? at $10/pair + shipping? The whole idea is just that. an idea right now, but if there is something here i want to know what other woodworkers with more experience than me thought about it. Serious feedback from other is always a good idea.
                Still learning after all these years

Comment

Originally posted by creeker View Post
                  Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. John, the lot owner has his own equipment and is doing some firewood logging already for limited people. The wholesale part is where he or I can select trees with burls or for hardwood lumber and i can buy by the tree and he would get it out of the woods for me. i would have to do all the processing after that but I would only be grabbing half a dozen trees at a time if i can, and i know enough guys with portable sawmills that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get some trees made into lumber of my choosing.
                  This clarification answers a lot of questions. This is the sort of "good for both" deal that Iamtooler described. The landowner is already in there with the heavy equipment and gets to sell a bit extra. You get to choose your trees and then refine them into a marketable product. I think because the startup investment is fairly low, this would be one of those ideas where you just start and see what happens.

Before I left Ottawa I was milling Basswood because I ended up with a bunch of it. I had no idea what to do with it so I cut it into small cants (squares) and advertised it as carving blocks on Kijiji. I sold carving blocks all over, but the one that surprised me were the sales to a person who was making large dolls and needed large blocks .... who'd-a-thunk that would be a source for sales?

Give it a go ... see what happens !!
                  creeker likes this.

Comment

Aikido fighting sticks
                    creeker likes this.
                    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X