Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Old Radio to Bar Cart

Hi,

I am planning to convert an old radio (photo attached) into a barcart. My plan is to cut out the front and add a hinge to convert it into a door. My struggle is determining the best method of cutting out the front. My first thought is to use a jigsaw with guide to stay straight. However, the rounded elements of the top/sides may make this a challenge. Any advice on the best method of cutting out the front of the radio would be greatly appreciated!

Colin
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Converting Old Radio to Bar Cart

What are you doing with the internals? Chassis, knobs, dial bezels, speaker etc?
    beachburl likes this.

Comment

It looks to me like the middle portion is an insert, it might be easier to disassemble and then modify the panel with hinges and re-install. If that is the case (depending on the age of the cabinet) they may have used hide glue which can be heated and then the panel can be pried away. Otherwise if it is the whole middle panel (rectangle portion) it might be easier to cut it out using a thin blade handsaw (Japanese pull saw) or if its the arch portion you plan to cut out then a jigsaw would probably be your best bet, you would probably have to build a surface for the jigsaw to ride on so you're not trying to hold the jigsaw level on an uneven surface (the face panel of the radio).

But that's just a guess. I'm sure it will look great once it's done.

Vince
      Randy in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Have a look at the linked Youtube video for another approach to repurposing an old radio to a bar. Might give you a few ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cyLyuzGRU

Comment

That video is amazing. Not that guy’s first go round. Lots of more advanced techniques, (veneering curves, 3d’ing knobs, spray finish) - or at least advanced for me.
          I have a smaller radio I made into the home for my router and modem. Re-touched the case, a flea market find is the dial, and the Bakelite knobs were from a local antique shop.
          None of it is functional - but the devices lights show through the speaker fabric, so it’s nicer to look at than computer equipment
          To the original poster, good luck with your idea. I’ve no suggestions, but will be watching for the process or result.
          Donna,
          Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

That video is amazing. Not that guy’s first go round. Lots of more advanced techniques, (veneering curves, 3d’ing knobs, spray finish) - or at least advanced for me.
            I have a smaller radio I made into the home for my router and modem. Re-touched the case, a flea market find is the dial, and the Bakelite knobs were from a local antique shop.
            None of it is functional - but the devices lights show through the speaker fabric, so it’s nicer to look at than computer equipment
            To the original poster, good luck with your idea. I’ve no suggestions, but will be watching for the process or result.
            Donna,
            Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X