Bosch 1617EVSPK router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch 1617EVSPK router

Anyone have this type of router ???? I would love any feedback from anyone that uses one. I was going to order it today but was reading a review and I have a few concerns :

• No Adapter for Template guide- Not included and hard to find
    • C-ring keeps falling off or breaks when used in router table.
    • Changing bases difficult –to tight or loose causing the router to wobble when using plunge base.
    • Bushings get clogged with sawdust when in table mount

If you use one of these have you experienced any of these problems ? I understand that there is no perfect tool but I only have 1 shot and need to get the best I can afford.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bosch 1617EVSPK router

I have that router bought used 5 or six years ago. There is an adaptor for PC style template guides. https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-RA1129-T...26523099&psc=1
    Mine has been used primarily in a router table with a home made router lift, never had an issue with any C ring. When I bought it I almost didn't because it was stuck in the base, eventually got it apart at the store. Lightly sanded the body with fine emery cloth and used it for a few years swapping between bases with no problems, for the last 4 or 5 years it has been used exclusively in my table. I have heard of the sticking issue before, I think it was on older models due to different materials and is no longer an issue with current model (I think). Not sure which bushings you are referring to, haven't experienced anything like that.
    Mine has seen moderate hobby use since I bought it, may have been abused a bit by the original owner. Since I like to keep it in the table I picked up the Maximum Fixed/Plunge router about a year ago to use out of the table on sale for $90. Very similar to the Bosch, in design, fit and finish not as good but OK, can't comment or durability or longevity. It has softer start than the Bosch and a light which the Bosch doesn't have, newer models of the Bosch may have better soft start and a light. The Maximum isn't on sale right now but usually goes on sale 3 or 4 times a year for $90 vs $269.99.

Comment

My favourite router,never a issue,a strong performer,well balanced,feels good in my hands

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
        My favourite router,never a issue,a strong performer,well balanced,feels good in my hands
        my thought exactly, mines been upside down in a router table for 2 years in daily use. i have six other routers of various sizes so my bosch 1617 is always in the table
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

My Bosch hasnÂ’t seen a lot of use in 10 years, but has had two visits to the hospital to have the speed control replaced. The first just before the original warranty, the second this year.
          Otherwise I canÂ’t say it is any better or worse than my other routers.
          During this last repair I mounted my Triton in the table. I forgot how much I liked the dust port and one wrench bit changes. The Bosch will be in the drawer for awhile.

Don

Comment

Thanks for your time and input.... going to check out Triton then decide between the 2.

Comment

I had this router and sold it because I would fight with it to get the motor in and out of the fixed base. I made my own base to accept template guides. Never experienced any other issues.
              Chris Wong
              http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

I am not strong with Bosh tools. So I am a little bias. The way I see things with any tool is that if you are comfortable using it then it's a good tool for you.

Comment

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
                  I had this router and sold it because I would fight with it to get the motor in and out of the fixed base. I made my own base to accept template guides. Never experienced any other issues.
                  I have been using my Bosch in the fixed base, attached to a Veritas steel tabletop. While the full clamp on the motor barrel is very robust, it is not a smooth operation at all. I think the aluminum oxidizes. I am sure some cleaning would help - which I will peruse now that the unit is out of the table.
                  That being said, my other 2 machines are plunge units that are more suited to quickly finding the zone. The Bosch has a good fine adjust once you get the bit in the zone.
                  I will try the Bosch in the plunge base for any handheld work to see if the love will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by roaddawg View Post
                    Thanks for your time and input.... going to check out Triton then decide between the 2.
                    Can't help you with the Bosch 11617evspk as I've never owned one.

Have you considered a Porter cable? Any PC router I've ever owned or used seems pretty darn bomb proof.

I purchased a Triton Router ( for $100 on sale ) a number of years ago that saw two or three years of average use in a router table. The lift functioned cratered. Has some nice and nifty features but..... would not pay full price when I feel there are better routers out there.

Some router are better suited for a router table and some have better features for hand held, fixed base and plunge capabilities.

Happy router shopping.
                    http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

I really appreciate all of you guys time and advice.on this and after a lot of reviews on the ones I narrowed down to I have decided to go with the Bosch. I'm also heading down to Home Depot as the have the Ridgid R4330 13" - 3 blade thickness planer on sale for $398.00 down from $549.00. I'll definitely let you know how the router works out for me... again guys many thanks !
                      Don Burch and smallerstick like this.

Comment

I really appreciate all of you guys time and advice.on this and after a lot of reviews on the ones I narrowed down to I have decided to go with the Bosch. I'm also heading down to Home Depot as the have the Ridgid R4330 13" - 3 blade thickness planer on sale for $398.00 down from $549.00. I'll definitely let you know how the router works out for me... again guys many thanks !
                        Good choice. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
                        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

It will be a very good first router for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X