Need help general 15-250 drum sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help general 15-250 drum sander

High folks, new member here. I recently picked up a General 15-250 twin drum sander. I went to buy it knowing it wasn't fully working. The main sander works fine but it's the conveyor that is not working. The conveyor motor does not power up through the switch. I took it off and put power to it and it came to life but the shaft didn't rotate. Looking at where this motor connects to on the circuit board it looks like a resistor has blown. Does anyone know if I can get another motor and circuit board. I know General are no more but there were many manufacturers that made this sander and was wondering if parts maybe available through that route. If worst is there a different setup that could be used from a different make, say king for instance . I have the motor being checked out by a pumps and motors rebuild shop, I'm not expecting good news.

any info would be much appreciated .

Barrie
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need help general 15-250 drum sander

That sander was a fairly standard offshore model that was imported and sold by several different companies, including Craftex and King. If you do a google image search for "double drum sander" you can see a number of the same machine as the GI model but in different colours with different names. I would just get in touch with the manufacturer of one of the other brands, and the parts will likely be the same.
    good luck!
    Last edited by callee; 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM.
    BamBam likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam View Post
      High folks, new member here. I recently picked up a General 15-250 twin drum sander. I went to buy it knowing it wasn't fully working. The main sander works fine but it's the conveyor that is not working. The conveyor motor does not power up through the switch. I took it off and put power to it and it came to life but the shaft didn't rotate. Looking at where this motor connects to on the circuit board it looks like a resistor has blown. Does anyone know if I can get another motor and circuit board. I know General are no more but there were many manufacturers that made this sander and was wondering if parts maybe available through that route. If worst is there a different setup that could be used from a different make, say king for instance . I have the motor being checked out by a pumps and motors rebuild shop, I'm not expecting good news.

any info would be much appreciated .

Barrie
      Which circuit board are you referring to? The one behind the speed control knob?

The setup *should* be pretty straightforward: power to the potentiometer (speed dial) which sends power to the conveyor. if the motor spins at full speed with straight power with no issues I'd say your issue is the potentiometer, and replacing it should be a matter of potentiometer of an identical size and voltage.

I have the same model of sander. If you supply some pics of exactly the area you think the resistor is blown at, and where the conveyor feed motor connects to it I may be able to provide more insight.
      BamBam likes this.

Comment

I do have some pics that I took on my phone. I'll post them up tomorrow. What I think has happened is the belt got stuck which put too much drain on the conveyor motor. This then blew the resistor on the circuit board. I'm hoping the motor is ok. I'll put up some pics tomorrow and you guys may have an idea of which path I should choose. I'm hoping to get it back in service. I only paid 400 bucks for it.

Comment

The sander is, as others have mentioned, almost identical to the Craftex CX504

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...csa-cx504.html

Its exactly the same as mine looking at the pics down to the speed dial and conveyor on/off switch panel. I suspect teh conveyor motor is either identical or is an almost exact match.

Call busybee support and see if they can help you with any questions.

BamBam likes this.

Comment

So I got the motor checked out at a local pumps and motor service shop and it all checks out good. I have just dropped off the circuit board at a local electronics service shop. I'm hoping they can repair it, they sound positive. The only other step to check is the feed from the main switch to the PCB. Thanks for the info on the other sanders and least I have an option to pursue if this doesn't work out.
            nnieman likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X