Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy Plastic Resin Glue in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Plastic Resin Glue in Canada?

I'm looking to buy "Dap 4. Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue 00204" or any alternatives but I'm not sure where to buy it from.

I can't find it in homedepot or other hardware stores. What alternatives exist here in Canada?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Where to buy Plastic Resin Glue in Canada?

Noah's Boat Building used to carry it and I have bought it through Amazon. Not sure if either still do.
    abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Thanks Kayak Jim At amazon it's overpriced and some online stores have silly shipping prices. Is this kind of glue a rarely used glue? Is there an alternative substance to glue veneer to MDF that works without warping veneer or having other issues/difficulties?

Comment

I've had good luck with Titebond III. The table shown here has bent laminations where the legs are glued up from bending plywood, baltic birch plywood and then covered with walnut veneer. The table top is 2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together and then covered on the top with Zebrano veneer and maple veneer on the underside. All of this work was done in a vacuum press. The table is a couple of years old and I have had no issues with it.

More recently, I have been using Titebond coldpress glue to prevent bleed through with some porous veneers.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2182.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	1270357

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2192.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1270358
        abdol_sh and beachburl like this.

Comment

I bought a tub on Amazon
          abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Unibond 800 is another UF resin glue I've used in the past. Not sure about it's availability currently either. If you're just gluing veneer to MDF then any of the PVA glues (Titebond etc) should work fine, although you do need to work fairly quickly. I only use UF resin for bent laminations if I want to avoid any spring back as it makes a very hard glue line. PVA joints can creep a bit over time if under stress. Maybe Titebond III less so as David has success with it on that beautiful piece. I have no experience with TB III.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...39-veneer-glue
            abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Sold here,

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...SABEgJo8fD_BwE
              abdol_sh likes this.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Home hardware lists a plastic resin glue manufactured by Circa 1850. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/454g-...of-marine-glue that might be a viable alternative. I bought at can a year or two for a lamination project, mixed up enough to stick a couple of popcicle sticks together as a test and then forgot about it until this post.

Adam
                abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

All of the plastic resin glues have a 1 year life so check the date on the can/container. After 1 year you will get a really gritty mix, not a smooth creamy one so toss it as it will not work.
                  Also this type of glue usually meets the "boiling water" level of water proof unlike all the "water proof" versions of PVA which will soften over time when exposed to long periods of immersion.
                  Air temperature really affects the open time on plastic resin. I was gluing the strips on my canoe in 30 degree heat and open time was about 5 minutes!
                  abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Coregonus View Post
                    Home hardware lists a plastic resin glue manufactured by Circa 1850. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/454g-...of-marine-glue that might be a viable alternative. I bought at can a year or two for a lamination project, mixed up enough to stick a couple of popcicle sticks together as a test and then forgot about it until this post.

Adam
                    Thanks Coregonus It seems Plastic resin glue has water in it which deforms the veneer (also toxic). Is this correct?

*** The description on swingpaints says it is suitable for veneering.
                    Last edited by abdol_sh; 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

That's a good handy source (Home Hardware) for UF resin glue! I think you're worrying too much about the moisture deforming the veneer. Softening it a bit can actually help to some extent. I have used the powdered resin in it's "lumpy" state and it has worked fine, albeit on lams not on veneer. Yes, you do have to be very careful handling the dry resin (dust mask etc) as it is quite toxic, which I think is the reason it isn't more widely available. You haven't told us about your project but is there some reason you're wanting to use UF rather than PVA?
                      abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by abdol_sh View Post

Thanks Coregonus It seems Plastic resin glue has water in it which deforms the veneer (also toxic). Is this correct?

*** The description on swingpaints says it is suitable for veneering.
                        I'm looking to buy "Dap 4. Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue 00204" or any alternatives but I'm not sure where to buy it from.

I can't find it in homedepot or other hardware stores. What alternatives exist here in Canada?
                        Your original request was for a water activated product. I think what you're looking for is resourcinal, a liquid resin & a powder catalyst. I know a fellow who brought some in from the USA recently and IIRC it was about $200 per gallon. Shelf life is about 1 year as mentioned above. We used to use it for boatbuilding in the '70s, now pretty much superseded by modern epoxies.

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                        Yes, that's the Dap. Resourcinal is elsewhere on their site. https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catego...cascophen.html Can't be shipped by Canada Post ...
                        abdol_sh likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                          That's a good handy source (Home Hardware) for UF resin glue! I think you're worrying too much about the moisture deforming the veneer. Softening it a bit can actually help to some extent. I have used the powdered resin in it's "lumpy" state and it has worked fine, albeit on lams not on veneer. Yes, you do have to be very careful handling the dry resin (dust mask etc) as it is quite toxic, which I think is the reason it isn't more widely available. You haven't told us about your project but is there some reason you're wanting to use UF rather than PVA?
                          I want to use it to attach the veneer to MDF. But I think other alternatives suggested by Ed in Leaside is very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post
                            I know a fellow who brought some in from the USA recently and IIRC it was about $200 per gallon.
                            But I think other alternatives suggested by Ed in Leaside is very expensive.
                            The fellow I mentioned has his workshop in the same building as mine. He brought the resourcinal in for use in a project as specified, and paid for, by the architect. He didn't need much, and is giving me the leftover which he: doesn't expect to use, and; doesn't want to see go to waste. I'll post here when I have it in hand and we'll see if I can have some ruckered to you (can't be sent by post as it's considered to be hazardous material).

Comment

Thanks Ed in Leaside I bought the Circa 1850 plastic resin from HomeHardware and am going to test it out to see how it turns out!

Comment

Working...
                              X