Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up my tiny workshop...

Hi everyone!

Like I said I have a fairly small shop (100 sq ft) and basically I use the exterior space my backyard more than my actual workshop. I have plans in the future to expand my space but not sure when this will actually happen. I have always tinkered with woodworking but I would really love to move forward into making furniture for personal use in my home.

I have recently cobbled together a desk for my 11yr old son as he is now involved with the "school for home program" and figured a family project would be better than a family trip to Ikea. So we scrounged up material from my off-cut pile and my son and I went to work for a few days and got the job done. Granted this desk made from scrap pine, painted and stained. It may not be a masterpiece but for my boy, it fit the bill. with the taste of completion it has put me on a path to improve my skill set and set up my small workspace to function as best as it can...

Right now I have a Ridgid 10" jobsite table saw on a folding stand, 10" Ridgid sliding compound miter saw on a folding stand, Spindle sander, a pretty old delta scroll saw handed down to from my father and 18 ga Brad nailer & 23 ga pin nailer. along with the usual power tool accoutrements like drills, circular saws etc also some hand tools as well but no handplanes as of yet.....

So all that being said, considering that I would like to focus on furniture, what do you think tool would be an asset to accomplish that? please keep in mind the size of my shop but any thing on wheels could be able to be made to work but bench models are better suited at the moment..... and what should I acquire first. I figured it would be best not to put the cart before the horse and acquire this tools with some kind of plan. lol.

Your opinions are appreciated and thank you in advance!
    Attached Files
    iamtooler likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Setting up my tiny workshop...

Hey the desk looks great and the fact that you and your son made it together makes it even better. Looks like the chair could use a little TLC (paint). Best advice I can give for the shop is everything on casters and make all your work surfaces the same height when you can so you can support larger pieces on multiple surfaces when required or use one worksurface as an outfeed support for your saw etc. In terms of tools, I would identify a project, research best way to build it and buy the necessary tools.
    billh, stotto and ZeroCool248 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
      Hey the desk looks great and the fact that you and your son made it together makes it even better. Looks like the chair could use a little TLC (paint). Best advice I can give for the shop is everything on casters and make all your work surfaces the same height when you can so you can support larger pieces on multiple surfaces when required or use one worksurface as an outfeed support for your saw etc. In terms of tools, I would identify a project, research best way to build it and buy the necessary tools.
      Thanks Doug! much appreciated! Even work surfaces are a great Idea and I will definitely implementing that where I can, also units with swivel tops that hold various bench tools are also something that I want to add for space saving.... something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY-Flip-Top-Tool-Stand-f-1-640x341.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1296504

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroCool248 View Post

Thanks Doug! much appreciated! Even work surfaces are a great Idea and I will definitely implementing that where I can, also units with swivel tops that hold various bench tools are also something that I want to add for space saving.... something like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DIY-Flip-Top-Tool-Stand-f-1-640x341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	1296504
        The flip stand for sander and planer are a great idea, had to look twice as mine looks identical. If you make one, decide what you will store in the bottom drawer and make the drawer height to match. I store my random orbital sander, belt sander and sending disks in mine and wish I'd made the drawer about 1" taller so they would fit standing up instead of on their sides. Sometimes little details make a difference.
        Another idea just remembered, hooks in the ceiling so you can route cords and hoses (shop vac and air) overhead so you don't trip over them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	1296516
        Last edited by Doug G; 09-14-2020, 02:54 PM.
        ZeroCool248 likes this.

Comment

Peter Millard has a tiny workshop and years of experience. Some of his videos should give you some good ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KpZnWo7d4
          Doug G and ZeroCool248 like this.
          Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by hoeeee View Post
            Peter Millard has a tiny workshop and years of experience. Some of his videos should give you some good ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KpZnWo7d4

Thanks! I will check it out!

Comment

Planer and belt sander.
              ZeroCool248 likes this.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Bench top drill press. Drilling accurate holes is essential for furniture making whether for dowels or mortises or screws. As a tool I suggest a router.
                Kayak Jim and like this.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post
                  Bench top drill press. Drilling accurate holes is essential for furniture making whether for dowels or mortises or screws. As a tool I suggest a router.
                  Thanks! I was actually looking into a used one last night.... any thoughts on brands or models I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroCool248 View Post

Thanks! I was actually looking into a used one last night.... any thoughts on brands or models I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!
                    Sorry I'm not up to speed on the better brands. I have an old Craftsman that works well for me so I have had no interest in others. I'm sure other members will chime in.

Comment

For some tools consider looking at name brand repair Centers for refurbished tools.
                      Egon
                      from
                      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                      X