Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips for tabletop glue-up

Hello fellow woodworkers!

I have 6 big pieces of cherry that I want to glue together to make a simple tabletop with no breadboards. They have all been processed a long time ago to 2" thick, 6.25" wide and 72" long, but one of them has twisted and bowed over time. When pushing one end/corner down, the opposite end/corner raises by about 1".

With clamps and cauls (and optionnally with biscuits) I would be able to glue it up straight, but I'm afraid it will twist right back up once I remove the pressure. I plan to mount the tabletop to some table legs found on amazon (square-shaped black metal ones) that are attached with a plate with 6 screws. I will grind the holes into large slots to allow for wood movement and use 1/2" brass inserts with 1/4" machine screws to allow repeatable assembly/disassembly.

The metal plate of the legs should help keeping the top straight, and I can embed 1" angle irons across the grain if that helps to keep it flat.

I can also bring it to a shop to have it reprocessed for around 50$, but that's a bit of a hassle and a bit expensive.

What would you guys do?
    Last edited by saucierb; 09-14-2020, 02:13 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Looking for tips for tabletop glue-up

I would be getting it all flat (no twist) straight and all the same thickness, then I would defiantly be using biscuits, if its over 30mm thick I would be using biscuits side by side that would give better alignment of the face and less sanding, taking short cuts at the start will create more problems later put the effort in at the beginning and save yourself a lot of stress later.IMO

Comment

What Bob said is right.

Any attempt at "forcing" the wood straight will end in disaster, whether minutes or months later, it will fail.

Leg material doesn't matter, if you intend to use the legs/mounts to aid in keeping the tip flat, it won't... or it will, by causing the wood to crack/split/fail

Biscuits will aid in alignment.

now that the wood has sat a long time, expose it to sikilar humidity as it will spend the rest of its days. IE if in a dry attic space, let it aclimatize to your shop/home a while to see if it "changes".

then joint, rip, plane to thickness, and begin assembly.
      Kayak Jim likes this.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Rip the twisted/warped piece into narrower sections and spread them out evenly in the glue up. Make sure to use caul’s when glueing up.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by saucierb View Post
          I can also bring it to a shop to have it reprocessed for around 50$, but that's a bit of a hassle and a bit expensive.

What would you guys do?
          Yup, that's what I would do. You will probably end up with the boards about 1 1/2" thick though. If you try to force it together, you will end up with a wobbly table in a year or two

If you want a full 2" thick, I would just replace the warped board with a straight one.

Either way, depending on where they have been stored, I would bring them into the house or shop for a few weeks before reprocessing them. There may still be some movement left in them with a humidity change.

JimPTBO likes this.
          the other Ken
          ------
          "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I went ahead and brought the twisted board to a nearby shop to have it jointed, then planed the rest of the boards down to 1 1/2". You all made me realize it was well worth it. I will try and come back to post pictures of the final piece.
            JimPTBO, beachburl and Kayak Jim like this.

Comment

I would have listened to the twisted board that wanted to be a leg rather than a top.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                I would have listened to the twisted board that wanted to be a leg rather than a top.
                You're right, I'll use the tip next time

I couldn't spare a board or the table would have been too narrow. The wood came from the shop of a friend of my father that passed away. It had been sitting for around 10 years and had some sentimental value. I preferred losing 1/2" of thickness (2" was a little bit thick anyways) than having a mismatched board.

Comment

I hope it works out for you but prepare to be disappointed.

Comment

Very pleased with the result!
                    billsm, Leo Van Der Loo and iamtooler like this.

Comment

You done good!
                      Egon
                      from
                      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Nice table. Nice work.
                        Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment