Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbital sander or belt sander for this issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital sander or belt sander for this issue?

Router-planed my coffee table and then belt sanded @ 36 grit to get rid of the router marks. I now have belt sander marks, and after 30 minutes of orbital sanding with 40 grit, it looks like the picture attached.

Should I continue to orbital-sand or would I be okay sanding with a higher grit of belt sander as long as I go with the grain, to remove the marks? If belt sanding is okay, how high should I go?
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Orbital sander or belt sander for this issue?

If it was mine I'd probably go back with the belt with a higher grit belt, but let the sander float and keep it moving and ONLY in the direction of the grain (it looks like there's some pretty deep "cross grain" sanding marks there now). Then I'd go to the R.O.S. and start working up thru' the grits. Letting the belt sander float and keeping it moving will help to smooth it out without digging in.

Comment

As a general rule, belt sanders are more aggressive but harder to control. So you may be able to sand out the marks faster with the belt sander but you have a better risk of gouging the top. So it's up to you how confident you are with your skill level using a belt sander, personally I'd rather switch to the ROS sooner and take a little longer than risk gouging with the belt sander and taking a lot longer. Also don't cheap out on discs by trying to use them too long after they get worn (been there done that, don't want the tee shirt).

Comment

Perhaps 60 then 80 with the belt sander, and then go to the ros. Be careful though.

Comment

36 grit on a belt sander is extremely aggressive..especially across the grain. At this point, I would belt sand up to 120 (or 150) then use the orbital sander 150 grit (coarser if it’s gouged from the belt sander). Finish with 180 grit orbital.
          KenL likes this.

Comment

Treat your belt sander like you are cutting the grass, cover the area evenly. Clean the surface area with compressed air frequently. You will get there as other have said, buy good very good belts 3M, klingspor, Sait and move up the grits.
            sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Somebody has to say it ....

I think you need to treat this as an opportunity to buy a wide belt sander .....
              Dean and stotto like this.

Comment

I would have thought router planing with the proper bit would have left a smoother surface than one needing 36 grit sanding. But I have no experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                  Somebody has to say it ....

I think you need to treat this as an opportunity to buy a wide belt sander .....
                  Why? Do you have one for sale?
                  John Bartley likes this.

Comment

Belt sander with 150 grit and work crossways to the grain. When it looks good switch to going with the grain till there are no visible marks. Then switch to the ROS.

When using the belt sander keep a light hand on it and just guide it. One handed operation.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                      Why? Do you have one for sale?
                      Ahhhh (deep sigh) ..... I wish I had one ..... period!

Comment

Have you considered trying a sharp hand plane?

Comment

As I said in my first post, belt sanders are more aggressive and harder to control than a ROS so I would suggest if you continue with the belt sander you use two hands to maximize control.

Comment

Not true, for maximum control one hand guiding the sander works best. I gives the best control to a allow constant movement of the sander without adding any down pressure. Used properly this way it makes it much easier to control than a ROS.
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

You might save yourself tons of time and find a local shop or business with a wide belt sander.
                              http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X