fix the wood door joint loss between the rail and stile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix the wood door joint loss between the rail and stile

my old door's rail and stile separated, after searching, I got 3 ways to fix this kind of issue. 1) put in a wood pin(dowels) through the stile and rail's tenon.Pic1. 2) put a wood pin on side of the stile through to the rail P2. 3) Drill a 45-degree pocket screw on the side of the top rail P3. Right now I cannot sure how long tenon the trail has? is it possible to contact rail and stile by dowels? could you tell me what is the joint method wood door have ? my door bottom is the same as picture 3.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: fix the wood door joint loss between the rail and stile

A picture of your own door would help me to make a comment.
    The method number 2 would be my choice but this depends on how the door is constructed, if it is a mortise and tenon joint and the tenon has been broken some dowels (long dowels) drilled right through the stile and well into the rail then use some good glue, the problem you may have is getting the dowel into the hole as the glue will have a hydraulic effect making it difficult to get the dowel into the hole so a long cramp may be necessary but be careful you don't burst the wood.
    dependent on your tools available and skill you could router out a slot in the door bottom and glue in a piece of wood, epoxy may be your best glue choice as you would be gluing to end grain on the stile.
    My opinion is pocket hole screws are a waste of time, a dowel through the face of the door could work if the tenon is not broken and the stile is in good condition but you really need to get some glue around the tenon if it is a mortise and tenon joint.

Comment

Re: fix the wood door joint loss between the rail and stile

Thank you very much, Bob!
      The joint method No:2 is the perfect solution, I plan to use 3/4" or 5/8" wood pin to fix it (the door's thickness is 1-1/4". I found out another joint way, to use furniture long bolt and barrel nut. .as pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X