Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expanding/cleaning up a (desired) hole in plywood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billh
    replied
    Originally posted by jay View Post
    Make a template in some scrap sheet goods and use a router with a guide bushing
    I thought of this method but then again, if the OP can make a nice round hole in a template then why not just do it directly on the workpiece so I don't think this really helps.
    In my case I would use a drum/spindle sander to clean it up.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Make a template in some scrap sheet goods and use a router with a guide bushing

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    +1 on more information plus what tools you have or would consider purchasing, I'm sure a $10,0000 CNC would solve your problem or maybe 50 cents worth of sandpaper.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    A drum sander attachment for a drill press or even on a hand drill, depending on how much has to be removed.

As said above, some dimensions and a photo would help.

Leave a comment:

• Bob just past Ayr
    replied
    More info would be helpful a picture even better. Size of current hole size desired and thickness if plywood?

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    How much is a bit? Depending in the hole you have now and the hole you want, this might be an ideal job for the Lee Valley "oops mandrel" for hole saws. I'd link to it if I weren't on my phone, but it's a double mandrel that allows you to use a smaller hole saw as the pilot bit and then a larger hole saw to cut your new hole - at the same time.

I used it just the other day - I was re-doing an old door, and the hole for the dead bolt was 1" while I needed 1 1/2". The oops mandrel did the job perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• PeterTZ
    replied
    If it's only a small amount, like a few mm around the edge, use a curved file. If you round the edge a bit first, you can avoid tear out. If you need to take off more, a moderately aggressive rasp will do.

Leave a comment:

• Expanding/cleaning up a (desired) hole in plywood?

So I made a hole in my plywood with a jigsaw. But I need it a bit bigger - would I just continue to pick away with jig saw? Some hand saw? Rough sandpaper? Something else? It's not a display piece so it doesn't need to be beautiful or perfect, but I need to cut away varying amounts of material around the inner circle.
Working...
X