Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

    Hello, I am looking to build a table top from 2 inch thick hardwood slubs. I am looking for the most affordable and practical option for a beginner. Where can I buy a few slubs? I live in Vaughan
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

    https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/lumber-directory

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

      Century Mill in Stouffville always has some nice slabs in stock. Give them a call or visit their website.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

        As Steve suggested, Century Mill is a possibility, I was there yesterday buying some poplar for trim....Rod
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

          Kijiji, Facebook market place are great places to find lumber for cheap.
          Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
          Or like my page on Facebook
          Subscribe on Youtube
          This is my website www.matteout.com

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

            Originally posted by bogmer View Post
            Kijiji, Facebook market place are great places to find lumber for cheap.
            While I agree, I would caution a "beginner" from going this route.
            Only because unless they find a reputable and/or honest seller, they may get stuck with less than desirable slabs/wood.

            A friend got some 3" thick Pine (off kijiji) for a big table, was told it had air dried for years. The weight of it "should" have been a tell tale sign it was damp, but he didn't know better. Took another year after I rough sized it for him, before it was usable.
            smallerstick and billh like this.
            [insert something witty here]

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

              Originally posted by beakie View Post

              While I agree, I would caution a "beginner" from going this route.
              Only because unless they find a reputable and/or honest seller, they may get stuck with less than desirable slabs/wood.

              A friend got some 3" thick Pine (off kijiji) for a big table, was told it had air dried for years. The weight of it "should" have been a tell tale sign it was damp, but he didn't know better. Took another year after I rough sized it for him, before it was usable.
              When I think back to when I was a beginner... I spent hundreds of dollars in woodstores only to screw up. Whished I could have found a cheaper option just to learn a little. Going on Kijiji is a great place to buy cheap wood for projects.
              Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
              Or like my page on Facebook
              Subscribe on Youtube
              This is my website www.matteout.com

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

                Originally posted by bogmer View Post

                When I think back to when I was a beginner... I spent hundreds of dollars in woodstores only to screw up. Whished I could have found a cheaper option just to learn a little. Going on Kijiji is a great place to buy cheap wood for projects.
                I can't argue that, you're right.

                I just figured since the OP asked about hardwood for a table, they would want known good quality stuff, opposed to possibly rolling the dice on kijiji.

                that said, not sure the OP has or will check in again.
                [insert something witty here]

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

                  Sawmill Sids in Mississauga
                  http://sawmillsid.ca/

                  Slabs and cookies of all shapes and sizes cut from windfall urban trees. They also have some really nice reclaimed lumber from old buildings from the surrounding cities in the GTA.
                  Last edited by ZeroCool248; 12-16-2020, 03:56 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

                    Originally posted by bogmer View Post
                    Going on Kijiji is a great place to buy cheap wood for projects.
                    I'm reminded of another thread where the poster got a "great deal" on wood only to have it twist like crazy and cause all kinds of headaches and rework in his quest to make cutting boards.

                    smallerstick likes this.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Where to buy a lumber for hobby in GTA?

                      Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post

                      I'm reminded of another thread where the poster got a "great deal" on wood only to have it twist like crazy and cause all kinds of headaches and rework in his quest to make cutting boards.
                      Yeah... I saw that thread. I know I just bought about 1500 Board feet today and I know that there will probably be 500 to 700 board feet that will be wasted.
                      Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
                      Or like my page on Facebook
                      Subscribe on Youtube
                      This is my website www.matteout.com

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...
                      Working...
                      X