Kreg pocket hole jig kit choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreg pocket hole jig kit choices?

I’m looking at the Kreg 310 pocket jig for a particular application. but I’ve gotten lost down the rabbit hole of pocket jigs. Wondering if I should invest in a full kit that does everything. But there seems to be so many choices and configurations. Not really sure what I’m looking at to be honest.

any thoughts on a complete does-all kit? I don’t want to buy on after another after another and never have everything covered sort of thing.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kreg pocket hole jig kit choices?

For $30, that simplest one-hole-at-a-time is the way to go to see if pocket hole joinery is for you. I bought it, used it for one project (router table) and moved on.
    ShoestringMariner likes this.

Comment

I got an email from them today. They have revamped their pocket hole jig line up and have new models available.
      Buying woodworking tools and woodworking are two different hobbies.

Comment

I have one of those as well... I prefer using the type that comes that have the clamp on the jig itself personally. I only bought it because it was cheaper than buying just the drill bit.

If you are not planning on doing a lot of pocket screws then go ahead you will not be sorry. Just remember you need a good clamp to hold it down and it's one at a time so it's slow going.
        Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
        Or like my page on Facebook
        Subscribe on Youtube
        This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

I have the single hole jig and have never had a desire for anything more( and I’ve been enticed down a few rabbit holes,hence the recent sale of lathe and planes).
          I do find the pocket hole jig a good method of attaching face frames on cabinets,and in awkward positions have done it many times without a clamp wth good results

Comment

Same here with the single hole jig, really depends on your budget I guess. Depends on the type of work you want to do.

Comment

I used a Kreg jig for outdoor furniture (sectional sofa) I built. Since I have requests for more, I decided to upgrade to the model with the clamp for the reasons mentioned above. That’s my shop cat Beatrice keeping an eye out. You just never know. By the way, I ended up adding a stretcher (rail?) to the back to make it a bit more comfortable, and replacing the leg I messed up. And painting that thing. Completely off topic, sorry about that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C532748D-1C64-4BAE-858E-539070061E02.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	1318411 Click image for larger version  Name:	EC8F8C3A-E4DC-4D3F-A91E-25714C30421C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1318412
              Last edited by sophien; 02-18-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I bought the single bore. I really quite like how well it works. I can see using it on other projects.

Comment

I have the single hole Kreg jig. It's simple to use especially with ¾"/20mm material, just line up the end, quick clamp it and drill. It was cheap and doesn't take up any space in my shop.

I've thought at times about buying a fancier, more elaborate jig, although I prefer using other joinery for most projects. But sometimes a quick and dirty pocket hole is what you need.

Get the simple one. Try it out...

Comment

I purchased the dual hole jig that needs to be clamped (vise-gripped?). Works well, even when you need only a single hole, and give the ideal spacing when two are needed for strength.

The only hassle was that Kreg stopped sharpening their bits! It was cheaper to buy a single hole kit with bit than the bit alone, which makes no sense to me at all, but it is what it is to repeat an overused and inane phrase.

One thing that surprised me was how much difference the power of the drill makes. I have an older Black and Decker cordless drill, a DeWalt cordless drill, and a corded hammer drill. The B&D worked well, but once compared to the DeWalt, it is pathetic. However, if there are a lot of holes to be drilled, the hammer drill comes out in spite of the hassles of a corded tool.

Comment

I have been doing pocket hole joinery for years now. I think mine is the original model. It still works great. I see they just came out with the 720 Pro this January. It would be my choice if i was to get a new one. I watched the demo on Youtube and it looks pretty good. The only place i saw it in Canada was at BusyBee https://www.busybeetools.com/product...g-720-pro.html . It is one of those tools that will last you a lifetime and you can get a lot of use out of it.
                      Wayne

Comment

I never had need for one. I guess they are fast and have their place but I dislike using unnecessary metal fasteners so I usually find a different method of joinery.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          I never had need for one. I guess they are fast and have their place but I dislike using unnecessary metal fasteners so I usually find a different method of joinery.
                          Just wondering what joiner you use to make a set of kitchen cabinets if you don't use metal fasteners of any kind? How do you put the face frame together? Do you use dowels or dado them?

Wayne

Comment

I consider pocket hole joinery just another tool in the workshop arsenal. Want an elegant joint use mortise and tenon or similar. Just need a joint that is quick and still strong then a pocket hole works just fine. My jig is a cheap knock-off with a proper pocket hole drill.
                            I finished making some cabinet doors and used mortise and tenon but on the last one I used pocket holes. TBH, I hadn't used them for a while I was surprised how much quicker it was to do the pocket hole than the M&Ts I had been doing. Then I wondered about the strength, well, it certainly wasn't going to fall apart and I gave a test joint one heck of a pull with good leverage in all directions (this was in maple).
                            Like virtually everything else we do it isn't essential since there are other ways to skin the cat but for some things it rises to the top as being a reasonably good way to do it.
                            billh
                            Last edited by billh; 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                              I consider pocket hole joinery just another tool in the workshop arsenal.
                              billh
                              That is exactly it! Depending on the project and what you want to achieve.
                              Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X